Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilians with Plate Carriers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Civilians with Plate Carriers

How do you guys feel about civilians having plate carriers? Me being a civvy myself I see a lot of guys running them at the matches I shoot at.

Is there a real reason to own one for a guy like me?

I would want one only for when, I hate to say it, the SHTF AKA mass chaos in the states and I have to defend myself from the enemy whoever it may be.

I was just curious as to what your guy's thought were. Not that I care or anything...
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nobody cares. Free country, free market.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have a higher opinon of dude wearing a PC (with plates) than just a chest rig.
    Then again, I also think that if you think you are going to be in a gunfight you should probably protect yourself appropriately instead of carrying 600% more ammo than you will need.

But hey, I'm an opinionated dick.
    Jack Leuba
    Military/Government Product Liaison
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Director of Training

Jack@F2SConsulting.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For classes or matches where you're around other shooters who may or may not be as serious followers of the golden rules, I don't have a problem with it. Accidents happen, anything that will reduce your chances of a sucking chest wound aren't a bad idea when the probability increases. For SHTF, you better train your ass off with it.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    Nobody cares. Free country, free market.
    This X 1 million.

Apart from the very practical security offered at classes where you do NOT know or trust the people youre training with, it is my hard-earned, god damned money and if you so much as judge me for how I spend it then you can go straight to hell.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    This X 1 million.

Apart from the very practical security offered at classes where you do NOT know or trust the people youre training with, it is my hard-earned, god damned money and if you so much as judge me for how I spend it then you can go straight to hell.
    Yep, that's basically it in a nutshell.

I have a plate carrier, with plates, that I've worn to the last few classes, because I have a class in a month REQUIRING armor. I don't want to be THAT guy who doesn't know how to move in said armor, so I've been using the classes to get comfortable doing so.

That and I like my body as is without extra holes, and paying 1500 bucks to help keep that status quo is fine in my book.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    But hey, I'm an opinionated dick.
    Yes, yes you are. But just because you cut the bullshit and shoot straight with people doesn't make you a less loveable opinionate dick.

I don't mind for civilians to wear and run a PC. As was stated free country and all.......
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have no problem with it, its your money. I used to think something like that would be ridiculous for a civilian but now I'm more informed and understand what could happen.

Feedback Score
    It is on my list of things to have. Someday. Right now, I can't justify the expense. Having said that, hopefully nothing will happen in which I will be without......
    I will for sure do a lot of research before buying. This place is a great place to start.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a major ****ing problem with it...that cost that is not the ownership.

Feedback Score
    I have seen some really crappy gunhandling at matches; wear your plates.
    Affiliated with BattleComp Enterprises, LLC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just don't wear it and try to shoot me while I'm in uniform and we're good. Have fun, we're not North Korea.

I guess that's really all I have to say on the issue?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All of these are such great points. Especially the not getting shot in the chest by a stray bullet! Makes me want to get one tomorrow.

I just dont want to look like I am trying to be military or LE when I am not. Don't want to be that guy. Nobody likes that guy. I appreciate all of the input you guys have given me. It is something I will look into.
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    As you go about your gear buying expedition and ponderings, nibble on this:

Professionals don't make fun of the civilian dude that can shoot, has decent gear, has applicable gear, and knows what the **** he is doing with it.
    The people that get embarrassed are those that don't.
    Jack Leuba
    Military/Government Product Liaison
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Director of Training

Jack@F2SConsulting.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Figure out how to wear it properly (plate placement, etc.), and you're already ahead of 80% of people who are issued them. Don't hang stuff off it you don't use (not just for appearance, don't because it's smarter), and from their focus on not replicating every public range stunt that makes you want to wear a plate carrier at the range to begin with.

Honestly, the best designs for civilian applications are the ones that look the least military. A relatively slick plate carrier in a solid color is cheaper and more practical than the sort of wannabe kit you're trying to avoid, so simply focusing on having the capability you need and leaving behind the weight, cost, and hassle of unneeded items.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I tried to set mine up like what Pat Rogers recommends, so just a kangaroo triple pouch, TQ, and a BFG 10-speed on the back. I'll get some photos of it later today.

I think the line gets crossed when I see folks in classes wearing full on CIRAS rigs with pouches all over it, as civilians. At some point you went from "protection" to full retard. That said, I wouldn't own armor if it weren't for a few upcoming classes, so I could go either way on NEEDING it or not.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    This X 1 million.

This. Same basic argument applies to houses, guns, knives, prepping, etc. If people have an issue with it, they can go F^&% themselves in my book.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    I tried to set mine up like what Pat Rogers recommends, so just a kangaroo triple pouch, TQ, and a BFG 10-speed on the back. I'll get some photos of it later today.

I think the line gets crossed when I see folks in classes wearing full on CIRAS rigs with pouches all over it, as civilians. At some point you went from "protection" to full retard. That said, I wouldn't own armor if it weren't for a few upcoming classes, so I could go either way on NEEDING it or not.
    What's the BFG 10-speed for on the back? More mags?

The only time (that I know of) that mags on the rear of a PC would come in handy is when you are working in a team or doing a stack while clearing rooms.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    What's the BFG 10-speed for on the back? More mags?

The only time (that I know of) that mags on the rear of a PC would come in handy is when you are working in a team or doing a stack while clearing rooms.
    Which we'll be doing in November

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    Which we'll be doing in November
    lol roger...just wondering if you keep then there full time?

Don't know your occupation tho, so you may need them there full time...
    Last edited by Ironman8; 09-24-11 at 12:15.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast