Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VTAC Sling.... I just don't get it. Suggestions welcome

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

VTAC Sling.... I just don't get it. Suggestions welcome

I'm probably going to get suggestions that I already have considered...The obvious is why would I try a VTAC sling when I'm happy with the Vickers combat sling? The answers is because Kyle Defoor uses them and he seems to have that sling perfected. I attended a 2 day advanced class and Kyle's rifle seemed to be attached to him so natural I figured I would try the VTAC.

I can't get it adjusted and the extra tail to adjust the length just is a pain in the ass.

Am I missing something or is someone going to get a smoking deal on a new Multicam padded VTAC sling?
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have both the VTAC and a couple of the VCAS.
    I prefer the VCAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    "The obvious is why would I try a VTAC sling when I'm happy with the Vickers combat sling?"

Yeah good question.

"Because Kyle Defoor uses them."

So why didn't you ask Kyle?

Really dude, its a sling and not that complicated. Adjust the length of the sling so the tail ends at about where the front mount is mounted to your rifle. This will be your general use length. If you need to cinch it to tighten up a shooting position crank down on it. If you need more slack loosen it up. Make sure your using a mount mounted directly to a free floated rail and not the barrel mount....otherwise your going to see poi shifts.

And please don’t bitch about the "tail". When properly adjusted there is no tail. Use the Velcro tab.

The only downside the the Vtac is the shitty cord they use on the adjuster. I just made one of those 550 cord handle dohickeys that guys use for key chains. Much easier to take the slack out of.

I have used both and while the VCAS is a fine sling I prefer the Vtac for ease of adjustment and the fact you can cinch it down to stabilize your shooting platform(prone, sitting, kneeling).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    To me, the only truly viable difference that has an impact between the two is that the VTAC's adjuster is in the exact same place, all the time. If one wants to reduce or eliminate the possibility of fumbling with their sling when they need to loosen or release it, the VTAC is the way to go.

I agree that the stock pull for that adjuster is probably too small, but there's no shortage of 550 cord out there for a longer, braided pull or a monkey's fist to be made. For me and the way I set up a sling, the adjuster always ended up right behind my left armpit, and putting a longer pull on it resulted in the thing getting caught on stuff and getting actuated at...ahhh, we'll call them "inopportune moments."

Oddly, never had a problem with the tail; I had a second-flight version, and used the velcro keeper.

So, I use VCAS slings and always have immediate access to the adjuster. It may not always be in the same place, but anyplace it falls is someplace I can reach it without truly conscious effort. Same thing with the EMDOM Gunslinger.

None of this is a ding on the VTAC. It's still a great design and something I'd absolutely still use if other options didn't exist.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    ok Thanks
    Last edited by Tzoid; 10-02-11 at 19:21.
    Tzoid

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

QD pull lanyard

On my sling, I used gutted 550 and heat shrink from Radio Shack to make a nice, easy to find, quiet pull lanyard for the quick adjust buckle.

Think Arc'Teryx zipper pulls on a VTAC sling.
    Last edited by kcmo83; 10-03-11 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    "The obvious is why would I try a VTAC sling when I'm happy with the Vickers combat sling?"

Yeah good question.

"Because Kyle Defoor uses them."

So why didn't you ask Kyle?

Really dude, its a sling and not that complicated. Adjust the length of the sling so the tail ends at about where the front mount is mounted to your rifle. This will be your general use length. If you need to cinch it to tighten up a shooting position crank down on it. If you need more slack loosen it up. Make sure your using a mount mounted directly to a free floated rail and not the barrel mount....otherwise your going to see poi shifts.

And please don’t bitch about the "tail". When properly adjusted there is no tail. Use the Velcro tab.

The only downside the the Vtac is the shitty cord they use on the adjuster. I just made one of those 550 cord handle dohickeys that guys use for key chains. Much easier to take the slack out of.

I have used both and while the VCAS is a fine sling I prefer the Vtac for ease of adjustment and the fact you can cinch it down to stabilize your shooting platform(prone, sitting, kneeling).
    I'll **** with it some more and try not to bitch about the tail
    Tzoid

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    With the VTAC (or equivelant) you can go from admin tight (stored on your back or front when working with both hands) to loose enough to put the rifle in high port and run with it.

Every VCAS sling I've tried doesn't offer the flexiblity to do both (super tight for stowing, super loose for high port work).

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Pick the one that best works for you and drive on...nuff said.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kcmo83 View Post
    heat shrink
    I just got through rooting around for this stuff and found it at my local True Value.

I used some 1/2" to repair a worn portion of my Surefire DG switch. At the time, I picked up some 1/4" for reasons I couldn't even begin to explain.

Now I know that the universe was speaking to me, through my zippers.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast