Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilians with Plate Carriers

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    lol roger...just wondering if you keep then there full time?

Don't know your occupation tho, so you may need them there full time...
    Civilian. But I keep the pouches there if need be.

There should be an article coming out soon with Pat describing WHY he sets up his PC the way he does, and 2 man teams are exactly that reason.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post

There should be an article coming out soon with Pat describing WHY he sets up his PC the way he does, and 2 man teams are exactly that reason.
    Good to know...and I just so happen to have a 10-speed layin around

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post

Article is out, current issue of SWAT magazine. If you put two and two together you will find a picture of me in that article....hint "rush".

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Article is out, current issue of SWAT magazine. If you put two and two together you will find a picture of me in that article....hint "rush".
    Pats articles are the ONLY reason I buy that mag every now and then...guess I'll be getting this months...
    Last edited by Ironman8; 09-24-11 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    As you go about your gear buying expedition and ponderings, nibble on this:

Professionals don't make fun of the civilian dude that can shoot, has decent gear, has applicable gear, and knows what the **** he is doing with it.
    The people that get embarrassed are those that don't.
    Damn. Very well said. These are some great words to live by in the firearm world. I will be remembering this one for sure.
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I've got a carrier, but don't need the bulkiness & weight of plates. I placed soft III-A armor inside mine. It's lighter and more flexible this way.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I've got a carrier, but don't need the bulkiness & weight of plates. I placed soft III-A armor inside mine. It's lighter and more flexible this way.
    I thought soft plates were only meant for backers? Does running only a soft plate provide adequate protection?
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a civilian and I don't own a plate carrier, although I have nothing against the idea.

I do, however, have an outrageous number of mags available on my TT MAV.

I would guess it looks a bit ridiculous to people living in countries (or states) without mag restrictions.

Up here, though, I am stuck training with 5 round mags most of the time. So I carry a stupid number of mags with me for training purposes.

Anyway, the point I am making is that even if you look like an idiot, the important thing is that you are maxing out your efficacy. Sometimes that requires you to do things that look stupid to some people.

Of course, there are lots of things that look stupid because they ARE stupid, as well. If you're doing something that looks stupid and serves no purpose, it's stupid. If you're doing something that looks stupid but serves a useful purpose, well...looks can be deceiving.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2theXtreme View Post
    I thought soft plates were only meant for backers? Does running only a soft plate provide adequate protection?
    Soft armor (IIIA) is only rated for handgun.

Hard armor is rated for rifle and is usually lvl III/IV ICW or lvl IV stand alone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fmjoe View Post
    Just don't wear it and try to shoot me while I'm in uniform and we're good.

I hope nobody tries to shoot you ever. Nobody likes getting shot at. .... which is exactly the reason why some civvies own the armor in the first place.
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast