Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Civilians with Plate Carriers

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    O and unless it is against some strange law in your state it is legal to own body armor. Unless you are using it for criminal activities. Why would something that is self protecting not harming anyone else be against the law is another story.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruchik View Post
    As a side note, is there any way to tell if a particular vest comes with integrated, sewn in soft armor? I've been looking around at a few vests here and there, but many of them don't explicitly state that soft armor is integrated into the vest. For example, I flat out refuse to believe that Eagle's CIRAS vest costs $600 or more for just the vest and no armor. Is the price an indicator of whether or not armor is included?
    Price doesn't reflect anything with armor, sometimes more expensive is just more expensive...

Look in to Tyr Tactical if you want a plate carrier with soft armor, I run a PICO Plate Carrier and added some Gamma Plus ceramic plates off eBay.

Total cost was less than <$900 not including additional pouches.

Much better design, more comfortable and less weight than my Gen 1 Diamondback Tactical FAPC w/steel plates.

I also had an Eagle Plate Carrier with ceramic plates for a while but found the lack of a cummerbund made it flop around too much and had less room for pouches so I sold it to offset the cost of getting the PICO.

US Palm has a line of Plate Carriers that seem to offer a good value for those that are on a budget. Quality is comparable to Tyr Tactical

Feedback Score
    Armor is not a bad thing. Even if you are wearing it for the first time, and shooting and moving like ass, having armor is great for adding stress, realism, and fitness.

I personally believes it improves balance and coordination as well.

I've seen my fair share of AD's, so having on armor is nice for that reason as well.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 09-28-11 at 03:25.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Having a plate carrier is cool.

However, you look like a boot when you add on tons of crap that you will never use.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Yea a look on youtube will show guys with stuff attached a foot long in on the front. Balance your load. Put as little as needed and remember that you have to clear entry ways and other things that can catch gear that is sticking out.

Feedback Score
    what do you think of the US Palm ASP-C Plate Carrier?
    Its reasonable in cost at $399 and seems suitable for civilian use.
    It is level IV and weighs 18 pounds.

https://www.uspalm.com/component/mag...tml?Itemid=102

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fmjoe View Post
    Just don't wear it and try to shoot me while I'm in uniform and we're good.
    As long as you agree not to trample my rights while I'm in my house or out in public.

"I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I am a lowly civy and run plates. I also own soft armor. Nothing wrong with it and think that EVERY Civy should have both of these.

C4

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I believe Tyr produces the gear for US Palm, if I overheard a rep correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Treehopr View Post
    Price doesn't reflect anything with armor, sometimes more expensive is just more expensive...

Look in to Tyr Tactical if you want a plate carrier with soft armor, I run a PICO Plate Carrier and added some Gamma Plus ceramic plates off eBay.

Total cost was less than <$900 not including additional pouches.

Much better design, more comfortable and less weight than my Gen 1 Diamondback Tactical FAPC w/steel plates.

I also had an Eagle Plate Carrier with ceramic plates for a while but found the lack of a cummerbund made it flop around too much and had less room for pouches so I sold it to offset the cost of getting the PICO.

US Palm has a line of Plate Carriers that seem to offer a good value for those that are on a budget. Quality is comparable to Tyr Tactical

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    What's the BFG 10-speed for on the back? More mags?

The only time (that I know of) that mags on the rear of a PC would come in handy is when you are working in a team or doing a stack while clearing rooms.
    great place to stash another Cinch-tight or israeli too...
    never push a wrench...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast