Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Civilians with Plate Carriers

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2theXtreme View Post
    Very well explained! Thank you for that. Makes sense why both options would be wanted. If you don't mind me asking...what rig are you referring to?
    Uh, I don't think you are fully grasping this.
    Armor is heavy.
    Less is more. . . until you get shot.
    Or at least shot somewhere you don't have covered with armor.

Armor backers (soft) are a good idea, but mostly to stop chunks of caramic from being pushed into your torso. Further, not all hard armor is created the same, and if you aren't paying top dollar, having that soft armor to reduce the effects of back-face deformation and impact force is a good idea.

A normal plate carrier, as applicable to normal people, will not have an allotment for armor other than directly behind the plate. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to back a plate with anything, since anything the soft will stop the hard will have already stopped. The only time it becomes an issue is when you have a full torso armor package (such as a CIRAS or RBAV), but that exposed soft armor doesn't mean a whole lot when everyone is shooting rifles at each other and anything that blows up close enough for the shrapnel to be a real issue will probably punch tidy holes in all the other areas of exposed skin, like your arms, legs, neck and head, that is if it doesn't just tear you apart.

Soooooo...
    read stickies
    get plates
    get backers if applicable
    get medical gear
    get training
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Very well explained! Thank you for that. Makes sense why both options would be wanted. If you don't mind me asking...what rig are you referring to?

Warning!!!: What you just read may contain sarcasm. Judge me accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard E-Sapi plates with soft armor, side plates, groin protector, ect. Standard IBA with upgrades.

Im looking at the Crye Jumpable Carrier now. Molle on the front, back, and sides but just holds plates. Would be a lot more maneuverable, less weight, and still carry hard armor.

I can tell you its NO JOKE to have both hard and soft armor with mags, water, IFAK, and all the other shit people carry. I weighed mine in Baghdad with vest fully loaded, helmet, and rifle which came out to about 80lbs. I now have chronic back pain and I know tons of other dudes who had issues afterwards, too.

Feedback Score
    And don't get some teeny weeny baby plate for the sake of "mobility".

Get a plate that covers as much skin as possible without impairing your capabilities.

And don't carry more than you need. When it doubt, ruck up and do a 10k in full kit. You'll learn what you really need quick fast.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 09-29-11 at 01:33.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Uh, I don't think you are fully grasping this.
    Armor is heavy.
    Less is more. . . until you get shot.
    Or at least shot somewhere you don't have covered with armor.

Armor backers (soft) are a good idea, but mostly to stop chunks of caramic from being pushed into your torso. Further, not all hard armor is created the same, and if you aren't paying top dollar, having that soft armor to reduce the effects of back-face deformation and impact force is a good idea.

A normal plate carrier, as applicable to normal people, will not have an allotment for armor other than directly behind the plate. In a perfect world, we wouldn't need to back a plate with anything, since anything the soft will stop the hard will have already stopped. The only time it becomes an issue is when you have a full torso armor package (such as a CIRAS or RBAV), but that exposed soft armor doesn't mean a whole lot when everyone is shooting rifles at each other and anything that blows up close enough for the shrapnel to be a real issue will probably punch tidy holes in all the other areas of exposed skin, like your arms, legs, neck and head, that is if it doesn't just tear you apart.

Soooooo...
    read stickies
    get plates
    get backers if applicable
    get medical gear
    get training
    I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was asking what PC he was using that was so uncomfortable. Which he answered.

I saw a video on some plates on SKD he shot a bunch of time with 5.56 and they remained in tact and there was no penetration through the back. The BAE systems plate. Think I may go with these when the mediums are available.

Warning!!!: What you just read may contain sarcasm. Judge me accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was asking what PC he was using that was so uncomfortable. Which he answered.
    I was referring to this sentence:

Makes sense why both options would be wanted.
    The problems of which I covered in my response above.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I was referring to this sentence:

The problems of which I covered in my response above.
    Ah ha! Got ya! While we are on it...anybody know where I can get good quality plates for a fair price? I don't mind paying more for a better product...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Ah ha! Got ya! While we are on it...anybody know where I can get good quality plates for a fair price? I don't mind paying more for a better product...
    Check forum "For Sale"/Equipment Excahnge areas.
    They pop up here (I think there is one available right now) from time to time.
    I would also point you toward Lightfighter. Generally good gear there to be had.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you very much! I will have to do that.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Im looking at the Crye Jumpable Carrier now. Molle on the front, back, and sides but just holds plates. Would be a lot more maneuverable, less weight, and still carry hard armor.
    That's the rig I'm running with the BAE SA Lvl IV plates.Very minimalistic and I like it.

And don't carry more than you need. When it doubt, ruck up and do a 10k in full kit. You'll learn what you really need quick fast.
    Amen to that, I had so much stuff on my MTV when I got in country...needless to say after my first patrol I stripped almost everything off except mags and my ifak
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have to profess my admiration for the views on civilian armor possession in this thread. I work in a typically conservative jurisdiction and I've run into numerous officer who don't believe any civilian should have body armor. Most of the local uniform equipment shops will not sell armor without a CLEET card. One of them will, but only if you have a concealed carry permit. Most of them couldn't tell you that they guy most responsible for the soft armor they wear was a pizza delivery guy!

I skimmed the stickies referenced on the previous page and still have a question. What would be a good recommendation for a slick plate carrier that could be worn at least semi-unobtrusively under normal outer wear? Something that I could velcro identifiers on front and back if I need to wear it on top? I have issued soft armor, but envision the use of a plate carrier might be a good idea if responding to an active shooter scenario when out of uniform. Rapid donning would obviously be a plus. I guess attachment points to mount IFAK and extra mag pouches would add to the versatility, but only if they don't add too much weight and bulk. Last time I wore hard armor was a LONG time ago in the Corps, so I need some schooling!

I'm planning to sell some unneeded firearms in the near future. I'd say the budget would be $1500 or less, with plates and any necessary attachments. Thoughts?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast