Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: marks on buffer HELP!!

Feedback Score

marks on buffer HELP!!

A new upper on a new LMT lower. second time shooting it. when i went to clean it for the second time i noticed this. I did a google and site search but i did not know what to look for so i had no luck.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    totally normal. like almost all wear, its not uncommon to see what seems like drastic wear in a relatively short time.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 11-23-09 at 23:28.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    See that shiney spot on the bolt carrier just above the clearance channel for the buffer retainer? Stone it down and that wear pattern will stop.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    See that shiney spot on the bolt carrier just above the clearance channel for the buffer retainer? Stone it down and that wear pattern will stop.
    pff. totally showed me up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Yep.

I lap the rear of my carriers in a figure eight pattern using oil and an Arkansas Stone.

Take a jewelers file and some emery cloth or fine sand paper, and slightly chamfer the edge of the milled buffer detent channel in the bottom of the carrier as well.

Eliminate the burrs and you’ll eliminate the buffer damage.

ETA: Better pic of another carrier.

Last edited by Quib; 11-24-09 at 01:15. Reason: Added pic.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/

Feedback Score
    Well, you learn something new every day! The end of that bolt carrier looks really nice.

Feedback Score
    awesome pics Quib
    Max Rodriguez
    SVP Knesek Guns, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Here’s another shot of the carrier shown in that last pic above.

This is after refinishing with G96 cold blue, and about 1000 rds. Take note of the areas indicated by the arrows, and how I chamfered and rounded those sharp edges.

“A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opksrj View Post
    awesome pics Quib
    Thank you Sir.

I just added another (current) photo above. This one shows with a bit more clarity, the areas of concern.

Feedback Score

Wink

Yes sir. Thanks. good info to have. They'll be a bunch of us lapping our carriers tonight I imagine.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast