Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POF Roller Cam

Feedback Score
    we're speaking technically here so there's no need to discredit a product by ignorant merits, is FN a stupid piston company,HK? is the AR 180 a stupid piston gun?

Is the Pin HK added to the barrel extension that prevents the extractor from lifting while bolt is in the extension stupid? I truly think that is cool, that bails out so many bad situations with suppressed systems.

The reason I initially tried it was imagining the loss of power when rounds are stripped from higher capacity magazines. The cam head is within the receiver slot at this point and I thought it was worth trying. In the end I don't know if it does anything over a lubed gun because there truly is nothing wrong with the existing pin.

Frank (POF) was one of the first people to apply some of those all too cool coatings to production items and it was from his time in Aerospace, not in this eternally unevolving industry.

I don't think you need to look at the piston line as an enemy breed, it's like you're fighting your brother saying he's totally genetically screwed. Stoner didn't do any more with DI after the project. Our (the AR) weapon is amazingly good because of the work we have done with the TDP, production, processing, and a commitment to making things better. Not because it was inherently the best from the very beginning.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armatac View Post
    we're speaking technically here so there's no need to discredit a product by ignorant merits, is FN a stupid piston company,HK? is the AR 180 a stupid piston gun?

Is the Pin HK added to the barrel extension that prevents the extractor from lifting while bolt is in the extension stupid? I truly think that is cool, that bails out so many bad situations with suppressed systems.

The reason I initially tried it was imagining the loss of power when rounds are stripped from higher capacity magazines. The cam head is within the receiver slot at this point and I thought it was worth trying. In the end I don't know if it does anything over a lubed gun because there truly is nothing wrong with the existing pin.

Frank (POF) was one of the first people to apply some of those all too cool coatings to production items and it was from his time in Aerospace, not in this eternally unevolving industry.

I don't think you need to look at the piston line as an enemy breed, it's like you're fighting your brother saying he's totally genetically screwed. Stoner didn't do any more with DI after the project. Our (the AR) weapon is amazingly good because of the work we have done with the TDP, production, processing, and a commitment to making things better. Not because it was inherently the best from the very beginning.
    Ok. I get where your coming from, in the technical sense. But, don't you think Stoner might have thought he finally got it the way be wanted it.

The pin in the receiver extention, was not his idea, it was someone else's R&D. Roller cam, coatings,etc... evolving technology from other sources. And wasn't a piston was one of his designs?

I agree with what you on the improvements made in TDP make the modern weapon great, don't you think he did a good job of laying the foundation?

Not arguing, just sayin...

Feedback Score
    I think DI is one of the best systems, but I really can't tell if that is because we have done such a good job with it , and I too don't want to argue.

AR18/180, is the true parent to modern short stroke/tappet piston guns.

Stoner was around 32 when he did the AR10, he never did another DI system after the 15(retirement exemption with Reed Knight). Piston or DI, and rotating bolt are good parameters for a sound design and what their (stoner/sullivan/freemont) design legacy has shown us.

Sullivan is still alive, and he is not the largest fan of DI. When I read the SAR article I was amazed at how much was just done on a whim but has never ever changed. The .223 round wasn't that well thought out but it does a fine job.

In meeting people in this profession I come across 2 types of thinkers. 1 type is the type that says everything was very well calculated and basically perfect and if we vary we dont know what we are doing because we don't know what they were thinking when they did it originally, the other type is the type that puts all in question and occasionally misses the historical relavance of some designs and where they lead.

They both have their issues. In the end if it works it works. Maybe looking past fouling and kinematics the DI system provides a more reliable cycle from the compressible flow type push of its "piston".

The ultimax is the best gun ever invented hands down(my opinion but that is all that matters in this head).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would like to get my paws on an ultimax.

But yes, I agree. They were trying new things, and hey, thinking outside the box is what got us to this point. I don't know of any system that is perfect or could stand a few tweaks.

Getting back to topic, I really need to try a roller cam in a DI. Just for my own curiosity.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JmIQXkoog8

Here is a interesting video, may show a argument for the use of the POF roller cam pin.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got a POF roller cam pin in my Ruger SR-556C. The pin's been in the gun pretty much since new and I'm coasting up on 6,000 rounds fired.

The stud or shaft or body or whatever you want to call it has the usual wear patterns from its interaction with the bolt carrier but the roller is looking fine. It is still tight on the shaft with no signs of loosening.

I doubt there's any real benefit from the use of the roller but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems, either. I don't notice any increased smoothness in the action or anything like that. And I've still got a small amount of cam pin drag in my upper.

Quote Originally Posted by armatac View Post
    Has anyone ever just machined the wear into the upper?

The LMT MRP upper has an angled cut in the receiver just behind the cam pin recess.

Feedback Score
    brent31, yeah that video shows what drag there is, we should see a similar test done with one upper using a lubed cam pin and a roller pin. I'll do it if nobody else hasn't already but I don't really have the time now.

That with a cam like move in the wear area (LMT MRP) apparently. I like, I like a lot. This maybe would help reduce "break-in" wierdness.

I think this is something that just might make the DI even more reliable, atleast it should operate for a longer time if the ultimate failure mode is attributed to the system weakening due to loss of energy.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    brent31, yeah that video shows what drag there is, we should see a similar test done with one upper using a lubed cam pin and a roller pin. I'll do it if nobody else hasn't already but I don't really have the time now.
    I did try this in my LMT upper with a POF roller dry and could not get the BCG to bind like it did in the video.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brent31 View Post
    I did try this in my LMT upper with a POF roller dry and could not get the BCG to bind like it did in the video.

Can you take a video and post it here?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I can try, won't be till the weekend.
    Last edited by brent31; 10-03-11 at 19:23. Reason: grammer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast