Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades for the Rem 700

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Upgrades for the Rem 700

Ok so I've been reading some threads that have answered some questions, but I didn't want to thread jack and decided to make my own.

I have a Rem 700 .270 BDL that I have used for hunting and shooting at the range. I put less than 2 boxes of ammo down range with it a year, but I want to change that. Up to now, I couldn't justify upgrading my very cheap parts (see below) because I just never used it.

As for what I want to upgrade, well I need to upgrade my $100 Simmons scope with its $50 rings and base as well as that terrible stock trigger. This rifle and glass was a Christmas present, so that's why it is so cheap...plus I didn't shoot it enough to justify upgrading it or moving to a .308 platform like I thought I wanted to....despite all this, I can still get the rifle to shoot about MOA, but I know with a better trigger and glass, it will do better.

Starting with glass:
    I have pretty much decided on the Vortex Viper PST line, but I don't know which one between the 2.5-10X and the 4-16X. The majority of my shooting will be 3-400 and in, but I would like to stretch it out to 800 yds (for fun, not hunting). Would the 2.5-10X be adequate for 800ish yard shots or would I want more magnification?

Rings and Base:
    Pretty much don't know what's out there that is quality. It doesn't have to be the very top of the line, but I want to know that if I drop my rifle, the scope will not be knocked off its zero. Any suggestions? Is Larue any good for stuff that isn't an AR?

Trigger:
    Per other threads that I have read, it seems like the Timney 510 is the heat. Is it a durable trigger? Is this the route I should go?

Any other mods/upgrades I should know about?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Burris XTR scope rings and EGW 20 MOA scope bases

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    Burris XTR scope rings and EGW 20 MOA scope bases
    Are these the rings you're talking about? http://swfa.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactic...ngs-P3674.aspx

And what's the difference between the EGL HD bases and the "regular" EGL bases?

Will I need 20 moa to get out to 800 with a .270?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    not sure but 20MOA supposedly gives you the best range of adjustment. If you have 40mm objective on the scope, probably want low height scope rings. I would prefer 4-16x over 2.5-10x since you want to shoot longer ranges

Only difference I see with the EGW HD base and the regular is the HD has the full rail across. The regular has the center part of the rail milled out

HD:

Regular:
    Last edited by ForTehNguyen; 09-17-11 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    How old is your rem 700 trigger? I don't have any experience with the x-mark ones but mine was the version before that. With a few adjustments i love it. So what i'm getting at is adjust your trigger and see of you like it. Mine is at about 2.5-2.75 lbs but i've had it a little less without any issues.

One thing ive found is when you are setting your trigger pull use a snap cap. The feel is completely different for me. If you need directions i can try to find the one I used since it explained things pretty well.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Ok so here's some info...

Manufacture date: 2004
    Model: Remington 700 BDL Stainless/Synthetic
    Barrel Length: 24"
    Trigger is breaking at 5.5 lbs according to a fishing scale...it does have almost no pre/over travel, so I guess that's nice.

Attachment 9775

Attachment 9776

Attachment 9777

Where do I adjust the trigger?

Also, if I were to want to cut/thread/re-crown a barrel for use with a suppressor, what would be the optimum length (or the shortest length acceptable)?

Thanks for the help guys...I know ARs pretty well, but I don't know what I don't know about precision bolt/semi guns.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 09-17-11 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkexp98 View Post
    How old is your rem 700 trigger? I don't have any experience with the x-mark ones but mine was the version before that. With a few adjustments i love it. So what i'm getting at is adjust your trigger and see of you like it. Mine is at about 2.5-2.75 lbs but i've had it a little less without any issues.

One thing ive found is when you are setting your trigger pull use a snap cap. The feel is completely different for me. If you need directions i can try to find the one I used since it explained things pretty well.
    blkexp,

See the info above and advise please...also if you could find the info for adjusting the trigger, that would be great.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    ForTehNguyen,

Thanks for the info, I will probably go for the HD...20 moa sounds like alot, but then again I don't know much lol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post

Starting with glass:
    I have pretty much decided on the Vortex Viper PST line, but I don't know which one between the 2.5-10X and the 4-16X. The majority of my shooting will be 3-400 and in, but I would like to stretch it out to 800 yds (for fun, not hunting). Would the 2.5-10X be adequate for 800ish yard shots or would I want more magnification?
    I would go 4-16. I have a 2.5-10x on order but that's for a 300 BLK, which I won't be shooting over 200 yds. You could do 800 yds with a 10x scope, especially with an elevated base and 30mm tube, but you will probably enjoy it more if you can crank up the magnification a bit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    on my 700 theres an allen screw on the trigger face near the bolt release, that lets you adjust weight - screw out to lighten I believe, its a real small allen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast