Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Columbia Co. OR will have 1 deputy on patrol...

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

Columbia Co. OR will have 1 deputy on patrol...

for 657 square miles!

Read the advice about learning how to use a gun and be prepared to defend yourself.

COLUMBIA COUNTY, OR -
    Starting Oct. 1, the Columbia County Sheriff's Office will implement a new patrol schedule that will have only one deputy on duty at a time.

The decision comes as a result of the department having to cut $1 million for its budget, Sheriff Jeff Dickerson says.

The lone deputy will be responsible for covering the county's 657 square miles.

http://www.kptv.com/story/15465636/c...ol-columbia-co

Always remember the only person you can count on is yourself, and at least to a degree your family.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Wow. Bad Idea. That is a huge area for a Lone Ranger to cover.
    There is a fight, that began before any of us were ever born. It will continue, long after we have retired, moved on, and left this world. It is a fight for the soccer mom next door, your mailman, the guy that bags your groceries, and most importantly, it is a fight for your family. We are in a daily battle not for land, not for resources or colonial controls...we are in a fight for our very way of life

Feedback Score
    That is incredibly stupid.
    I am sure there is a state trooper or two in the area but who is to say that they arent tied up on a call.

This is bad, if that was me I would probably rule out less than lethal force options in the slightest physical encounter. Knowing that I have no back up coming for probably several minutes or longer if I hit that emergency button I am going to make sure I win.

Pepper Spray and Taser dont always work like they are supposed to, but bullets I feel have a pretty good track record compared to the previously mentioned.

If you dont agree I will not be offended, but if you havent been involved in a situation where you are waiting for back up...
    IT ****ING SUCKS!

Being the only one, that has to suck.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    That is just stupid. They are just asking for trouble.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Bad news for the residents of that county. I guess they'll all have to learn to be a little more self sufficient. There have been many police departments shutting down completely due to union demands, budget constraints and corruption. In a lot of areas it boils down to not being able to afford the pay and retirement benefits that the unions demand.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-closure_N.htm
    • In Pennsylvania, 19 suburban and rural police agencies have closed in the past 15 months, and seven others have cut patrols. The "unprecedented" closures and cuts have forced the state police — who face their own budget struggles — to assume full or partial public safety responsibility for about 54,000 more people, says Lt. Col. Lenny Bandy, deputy commissioner of operations for the state police.

• In Minnesota, nine small police agencies have closed in the past five months, leaving sheriffs' departments to protect the public. The Elko New Market Police Department was briefly the 10th shuttered agency, until residents last month demanded that the City Council reverse its 2-week-old decision to eliminate it. "A lot of people felt that we were sending a potentially dangerous public message ... without a police department," says Mayor Jason Ponsonby, who opposed the closure.

• In Portland, Ore., police are consolidating operations by eliminating two of five patrol precincts. Portland police spokesman Greg Pashley says some residents fear response times will rise and established officers will be replaced by others who are unfamiliar with local problems. He says the move, which takes effect in June, was needed to cut costs, but he believes it will not compromise safety.

• In Southern California, Indio and its neighbors Palm Springs, Desert Hot Springs, Cathedral City and Beaumont have merged some key functions and also plan to combine dispatch operations to increase efficiency. "It's the legacy of the budget crunch," Indio's Capt. Richard Banasiak says.
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/...g_8646083.html

http://orangeburg.wistv.com/news/cri...rtment-closing

http://www.macon.com/2010/02/27/1039...rtment-to.html

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...re-Closed.html

Lots more if you use your Google-Fu!

Feedback Score
    The funny thing is most folks think that is a big deal.

Welcome to law enforcement in the rural West. The county I reside in has roughly 2000 square miles. Normally there are two guys on during a night shift. Many of the more remote counties will only have a single Deputy on. It is normal.

I have had my backup be a brand inspector, fish cop, or anyone with a gun. Sometimes it may be someone who has to get out of bed. Backup may be 45 minutes or longer away.

While I have worked the urban assignments as well, with a swarm of officers only minutes away, sometimes, you simply are expected to deal with what you unwrap and there will simply be no backup that will be there in a timely manner.

Better work on your "people skills" not to mention your marksmanship.

Command Presence goes a long ways. If you look like a fat slob who can be taken, you will be. If you look like someone not to mess with, chances are, you will not be.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a collegue who left my dept and moved to AK, talk about back up being far away!

I know a Constable who is engaged to an RCMP officer, her back up is sometimes three or four days away. . .

In some places it is still the Wild West.

Where I grew up, I saw COSO Deputies rarely. Everyone was armed and LE was something you called after an incident as it would have been over long before they could arrive.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This is more typical than people think. Even the State Police out here only have two Troopers on at a time to cover our very large county. They split it into two areas so chances are that reinforcements will be fairly far away if another officer is needed.

Many of the local police have one or two officers and only patrol a couple of days per week. Any other time, the response to an issue within the township or municipality is the aforementioned Trooper who is more than likely 25 miles and many long minutes away.

It is a difficult and thankless job as it is. The manpower/geography challenges must really add to the stress level.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We have counties around here that only have one or two troops working at night. It's pretty common in the more rural areas.

The shift I currently run is bigger than almost every other police and sheriff department in my state.

Feedback Score
    [Command Presence goes a long ways. If you look like a fat slob who can be taken, you will be. If you look like someone not to mess with, chances are, you will not be.[/QUOTE

Very true. If you look like joe shit the rag man, you are joe shit the rag man.

How many times does a POS get caught after killing some cop, and states, "he looked like I could take him, so I did".

How many times does some POS pick thier victim by his/her outward appearance? ALL THE TIME. If you carry your self in manor that screams I AM A VICTIM then it is only a matter of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast