Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small semi vs. small revolver

Feedback Score

Small semi vs. small revolver

I am considering a trade or selling my Ruger LCP and obtaining a smith 637. I like the size only a bit larger than the lcp and it has a much more powerful round.

I am going to post it up on the local county message board and see what happens. What would be a fair price for almost perfect used lcp. With extra mag and cheap tula 100rds ammo and iwb Galaco holster.

I would like to have both but I want to limit myself to only 2 pistol calibers and I already have 9mm. So if it were you which would it be? Keep the lcp or take the loss and buy a 637.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I’ve carried J-frames off and on for 30-odd years. They’re classic deep-cover guns, but there are better choices today. A J-frame may be the same length and height as an LCP, but it’s almost as thick as a G26, which affects concealment more than length and height. The G26 holds twice as many shots, has infinitely better sights, and is far easier to reload under stress, which is no small matter…

The J-frame is idiot-simple and utterly proven, which are never bad things, and there are a million good holsters for it. It's never wrong as a deep-cover piece, but you could do better. If you get one, consider a shrouded-hammer model like the 442 or 642 over a 637.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    you are right about the width. I just left the gun shop and tried it with a couple of different holsters to get a feel for it and it was a little unwieldy i think that i will just be stuck with both if the lcp doesnt sell.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jc75754 View Post
    I am considering a trade or selling my Ruger LCP and obtaining a smith 637. I like the size only a bit larger than the lcp and it has a much more powerful round.

I am going to post it up on the local county message board and see what happens. What would be a fair price for almost perfect used lcp. With extra mag and cheap tula 100rds ammo and iwb Galaco holster.

I would like to have both but I want to limit myself to only 2 pistol calibers and I already have 9mm. So if it were you which would it be? Keep the lcp or take the loss and buy a 637.
    Since you already stock 9mm ammo, why not consider a small single stack 9mm gun instead of the j-frame? There is a variety of them available now. The Walther PPS (at least in 9mm)is a very good proven gun, IMO/IME. My Kahr PM9 finally seems reliable. The PM9 and its less expensive twin, the CM9, are very small, almost as small as an LCP, and smaller in most dimensions than a j-frame.

Feedback Score
    Before I retired I had carried a Mod 36 S&W as a primary (way back) and then a secondary in an Alessi ankle rig, eventually I switched to a semi for a backup, a Walther P99c. Roughly the same size of the "J" frame and carried 11 rounds of 9mm vs the 5 of the 36. Also had a Keltec P3AT as a 3rd gun. While the wheelguns do have a place and serve a valid role, the small semis are IMO the way to go as they can carry more of and better defensive round and are easier to conceal. The 380 serves a purpose but I would never consider using one as my primary weapon.

Feedback Score
    How are you going to carry it? I went to buy a summer pistol a few months ago and considered a 5 shot J frame but realized that, all other things equal, I was so proficient and invested in Glocks that a G26 was a better compromise. I had ruled out pocket carry as it simply is not method that I thought could work for me, so with IWB being the only real way to go, the G26 was an easy choice.

Feedback Score
    Yeah j frames are great, simple, and reliable. However, a single stack 9mm is hard to beat, and there are several good ones on the market. Reloading is an important factor missed by a lot of people in the ccw world. Never overestimate a hand gun round, as history has shown us, even 17+ hits center mass from a .40 may not be enough. That is one reason I prefer the semi auto over a revolver. The pm9 or cheaper cm9 are great guns, and have proven themselves reliable if maintained properly. Or go double stack if you can carry it.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    ‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
    — Mahatma Ghandi

Feedback Score
    This is a tough one. I would like to hear other peoples input on the subject. This is a classic argument.

For small weapons (jframe size revolvers and Kahr/Keltec size auto in 380 or 9mm):

Revolvers offer some distinct advantages:
    Contact shots.
    Will not fail to load a new round during physical altercations or limp wristing. (con: Grabbing the weapon around the cylinder will prevent trigger from being pulled)
    Feed all types of ammunition.
    Ammunition does not get seriously damaged from loading/unloading.
    Leaving gun loaded for years will not cause magazine issues.
    Very reliable

Autos:
    Generally more rounds available.
    Slimmer/flatter profile.
    Faster reloads.
    Lighter DA triggers or SA triggers (pending on design)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    This is a tough one. I would like to hear other peoples input on the subject. This is a classic argument.

For small weapons (jframe size revolvers and Kahr/Keltec size auto in 380 or 9mm):

Revolvers offer some distinct advantages:
    Contact shots.
    Will not fail to load a new round during physical altercations or limp wristing. (con: Grabbing the weapon around the cylinder will prevent trigger from being pulled)
    Feed all types of ammunition.
    Ammunition does not get seriously damaged from loading/unloading.
    Leaving gun loaded for years will not cause magazine issues.
    Very reliable

Autos:
    Generally more rounds available.
    Slimmer/flatter profile.
    Faster reloads.
    Lighter DA triggers or SA triggers (pending on design)
    That is kinda what my predicament is now. my local gun shop has the smith 637 on sale for $329 but if i run across a good used smith36 or 38 for the same price it would be hard to turn up.

I know that I will make a compromise either way. I do not own a revolver so becoming proficient will take practice but so did my Glock and the Ruger.

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    the j-frame is just over half the weight of a g26. this has a huge effect on comfort. It's also an easier to conceal shape. The 26 is basically a no go in a pocket, the j-frame is a great pocket gun.

that said, the g26 is a hell of a lot easier to shoot and holds twice as many (more potent) rounds. However, it still requires a traditional IWB or OWB holster, and is basically as big as a glock 19 when it really comes down to it.

So you have to ask yourself how important concealability/comfort is vs firepower. if your answer is on the side of firepower get a g19, if it's comfort/concealability, get a j-frame.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast