Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Small semi vs. small revolver

Feedback Score
    I recently replaced my SW 642 with a Walther PPS 9mm as my always gun. The PPS is thinner than the Jframe and only slight taller. You could probably pocket carry it, but I am carrying it IWB, where it's thinness makes it much easier to conceal in the summer in shorts and tshirt versus my G19 which needs a button up shirt or sweatshirt to help conceal. The PPS is much easier to shoot due to trigger feeling very close to a stock Glock trigger. It also carries more rounds and I can reload it much faster than a revolver. The only thing stopping it from being perfect is the magazine release being the HK/Walther lever style instead of the more familiar push button on my Glock. Not too concerned about that becoming an issue (due to how different each gun feels in my hands due to thickness of the grips), but I am looking for it in drills.
    Last edited by BrianS; 09-30-11 at 17:48.

Feedback Score
    I tried my grandfathers 26 and it felt about the same as my 19. It was still difficult to conceal. I was thinking a 36 in was more narrow than the glock.

Also several have mentioned ballisitics. when the .380 is compared to .38 the .38 wins. But how does it perform when compared to a 9?

I also like the exposed hammer. I just think it is the way a revolver should look but i will have it cut down.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jc75754 View Post
    I tried my grandfathers 26 and it felt about the same as my 19. It was still difficult to conceal. I was thinking a 36 in was more narrow than the glock.

Also several have mentioned ballisitics. when the .380 is compared to .38 the .38 wins. But how does it perform when compared to a 9?

I also like the exposed hammer. I just think it is the way a revolver should look but i will have it cut down.
    I've been carrying J frames forever, and if you're going to buy one, imho, get a Scandium or alloy model. On an ankle, or in the pocket of shorts, it makes a world of difference. The steel gun will feel like a brick in comparison.

And just cutting off the hammer spur doesn't allow for one of the best features of the concealed hammer models. The ability to fire all 5 shots, from inside a pocket.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Thumbs up

Well... I'm with you fellers!

Kimber Ultra Covert II for winter (works great in a coat pocket, & loaded with Cor-Bon flying ashtrays) - Taurus 605 (I normally keep it stoked with 125gr. .38 +P JHP's for controllability) .357 for sumer carry in a pair of shorts.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    just curious but how does your 605 perform. How many rounds. I only ask b/c Taurus has some spotty QC.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I couldn't get my LCP to function 100%. So I fixed it with a 442.

It pocket carries just as well, has two less rounds than the LCP, but I have 5 for sure instead of 6 maybe.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This thread is all over the place. On the surface, the question is small auto vs small revolver. But, the comparison given is a small .380 VS a small 38. Apples and oranges to me.

9 mm or 38 is as small as I care to go, so the LC9 is a more legitimate comparison IMO. For pocket carry, a J frame works well. A Glock 26 or 27 does not. I own an LC9 but have not shot it yet. Once I prove it is reliable, it will be a pocket gun that will get carried when I don't want to carry on the belt.

For belt carry, it is my Glock 23, which I have no trouble concealing OWB in a Phantom holster. I live in Miami and nobody has more summer weather than we do.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jc75754 View Post
    just curious but how does your 605 perform. How many rounds. I only ask b/c Taurus has some spotty QC.
    I JUST picked that up a couple weeks ago - I had a Titanium 605 before that I sold because my wife needed dental work a couple years ago; been kicking myself over THAT ever since.

Only put a box through it so far at the indoor range. Accuracy is acceptable, cylinder locks up fine - no issues so far.

This is my second 605, and I've owned a couple of Model 85's as well. Seeng as how they took over the S&W tooling on these J-frames, I've found they're pretty solid little pieces. I owned a PT-101 about 20 years ago that was quite smooth, but that's my only semi-auto experience with Taurus. I'm no fanboy, but either I've been REALLY lucky to date, or really blessed.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Seeng as how they took over the S&W tooling on these J-frames, I've found they're pretty solid little pieces.
    What "tooling" did Taurus take over from Smith and Wesson?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I JUST picked that up a couple weeks ago - I had a Titanium 605 before that I sold because my wife needed dental work a couple years ago; been kicking myself over THAT ever since.

Only put a box through it so far at the indoor range. Accuracy is acceptable, cylinder locks up fine - no issues so far.

This is my second 605, and I've owned a couple of Model 85's as well. Seeng as how they took over the S&W tooling on these J-frames, I've found they're pretty solid little pieces. I owned a PT-101 about 20 years ago that was quite smooth, but that's my only semi-auto experience with Taurus. I'm no fanboy, but either I've been REALLY lucky to date, or really blessed.
    Wrong Taurus took over tooling from Beretta to make their 92 series of auto loaders way back when. They got nothing from Smith and Wesson.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast