Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Small semi vs. small revolver

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    The J-frame is ridiculously better than the G26 for pocket carry. The autoloader than I have ever considered a real competitor is the Kahr Pm-9. But I finally sold off my Kahr and just carry my 442 with laser grips.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know several guys who have gone back to the J frame after trying small pistols, including the LCPs and the Kahr PM9.

A real issue for some was that when the gun was carried in a pocket and then deployed as it had been carried for several weeks they would get a first round stoppage. Tap-Roll/Rack/Bang would fix the problme, but it was a consistent issue.

I have found that the J frames are far easier to get a shooting grip on when you are trying to draw from the pocket at speed.

The J frames also make, IMHO, the best "get off me gun" in that they don't choke if you have a hard muzzle contact, and there is no slide to foul when clothing, arms and hands may be in the way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I know several guys who have gone back to the J frame after trying small pistols, including the LCPs and the Kahr PM9.

A real issue for some was that when the gun was carried in a pocket and then deployed as it had been carried for several weeks they would get a first round stoppage. Tap-Roll/Rack/Bang would fix the problme, but it was a consistent issue.

I have found that the J frames are far easier to get a shooting grip on when you are trying to draw from the pocket at speed.

The J frames also make, IMHO, the best "get off me gun" in that they don't choke if you have a hard muzzle contact, and there is no slide to foul when clothing, arms and hands may be in the way.
    AMEN!
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post

Best thing about this site is the amount of real life experience opinions that are expressed here.

Feedback Score
    There is nothing nicer than a small frame revolver. A small frame frvolver is handy to have with you and are you trying to tell me guys that a 38 sp is not an effective round? How many of you guys been in a gun fight lately that you needed the more rounds of a semi auto?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    There is nothing nicer than a small frame revolver. A small frame frvolver is handy to have with you and are you trying to tell me guys that a 38 sp is not an effective round? How many of you guys been in a gun fight lately that you needed the more rounds of a semi auto?
    It is not hard to list gun fights where the greater capacity and faster reloads of a semi auto made the difference.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    It is not hard to list gun fights where the greater capacity and faster reloads of a semi auto made the difference.
    Pat
    So start listing...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    So start listing...
    The 1986 Miami shoot out (FBI vs Platt Maddox) for starters. Two agents were killed while trying to reloading their empty revolvers. Their are hundreds of examples, I will leave it to you to find the rest. Your a big boy you should be able to find at least a few on your own with a little bit of google foo.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 11-03-11 at 21:53.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    So start listing...
    Go back and read Mas Ayoob's column in American Handgunner over the last two years. He has documented several recent shootings that involved lots of rounds or a reload to resolve the situation in favor of the good guy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK View Post
    Go back and read Mas Ayoob's column in American Handgunner over the last two years. He has documented several recent shootings that involved lots of rounds or a reload to resolve the situation in favor of the good guy.
    IMHO none of those would have been handled by a pocket pistol, be it a revolver or an auto.

Seriously, 7 rounds of .380 isn't a huge capacity/capability difference between 5 rounds of .38special

This is why we should carry real guns as often as we can. Pocket guns are for BUGs, or when we have to dress in sissy clothes and go to stuff like weddings and such.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast