Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Colt LE 6920 vs. Colt SP 6920

Feedback Score
    I have an LE6920 since the SP was out of staock where I ordered.
    I am former LE and military, and am in no way worried about the LE only markings. The odds of having the gun on my person while interacting with LE, having him notice the LE/Mil rollmark, and being ignorant of the legality of ownership would be one perfect storm of bad luck. Additionally, once I explained that it was legal, asked him to call a supervisor to check, and still was arrested/had my rifle confiscated would just add to my criminal defense and hopeful monetary settlement.
    I think the biggest chance of this happeneing would be some rural jurisdiction where you MIGHT have a greater possibility of encountereing an officer whose knowle of code is lacking and isn't informed or worried about liability issues.

Feedback Score

Colt new markings.

Just thought I'd update this thread a little as I just picked up a new 6920 two days ago. Mine is the one with the MOE furniture and back up sight. It is marked with the Colt logo "M4 Carbine CAL 5.56mm" and the serial number. That's it nothing else.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are literally thousands upon thousands of LE marked colts in the hands of civilians. If some douche nozzle wants to try me on that, I'm his huckleberry - it'll be a slam dunk in court.

I wouldn't waste two seconds of my life worrying about owning an LE marked anything.

I've always been of the opinion though that if you well and truly think you're going to have some run ins with law enforcement, it's always best to bring your own cop. I have a lot fo friends in law enforcement, and many go shooting with me frequently.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Please tell me wherte this mystical jurisdiction may be located. I will promptly drive around it non-stop with said marked weapon on my backseat waiting for such an incident to occur.

That argument has been bandied about numerous times, yet we can't seem to find any case law that supports it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Killer Robot View Post
    I have an LE6920 since the SP was out of staock where I ordered.
    I am former LE and military, and am in no way worried about the LE only markings. The odds of having the gun on my person while interacting with LE, having him notice the LE/Mil rollmark, and being ignorant of the legality of ownership would be one perfect storm of bad luck. Additionally, once I explained that it was legal, asked him to call a supervisor to check, and still was arrested/had my rifle confiscated would just add to my criminal defense and hopeful monetary settlement.
    I think the biggest chance of this happeneing would be some rural jurisdiction where you MIGHT have a greater possibility of encountereing an officer whose knowle of code is lacking and isn't informed or worried about liability issues.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=OldState;1109999]In the American legal system the burden of proof is always on law enforcement for anything.

They could decide to harass you but they would have to hope you are ignorant of the law or unwilling to take legal action against them.

The burden of proof is not on law enforcement. Police Officers make an arrest based on probable cause(reasonable belief). They don't give much thought on what happens in court. The DA/Prosecution needs to prove you guilty(proof beyond a reasonable doubt). Most cops aren't looking to "harass you, although this may be the end result of their ignorance.
    24 years as a cop and many ranks later (supervising cops) Grant is 100% correct. Knowing what I know I would take the Sporter M4 and not be comfortable with the LEO marking. Most Officers on my job know nothing about the black rifles and they just see evil looking weapon + LEO marking. I have been into this my whole life and had the opportunity to terminate arrests based on cops not knowing. My guess Grant has dealt/deals with a lot of LEOs and he sees what I see. I have 3 Colts with the LEO marking that look new and if anyone wants to swap you got it! Because I like the M4 roll mark better anyway... Its easy to say I will sue but I have been down that road too... good luck with that. Not that easy and Judges will throw out these law suits. Remember Judges are politically appointed. Just my thoughts, please don't misjudge me I am on your side. I always look at things impartially and try not to judge people, just do my job with compassion. But unfortunately were all not of the same mind set.
    To answer the question, I would choose the M4 for three reasons: 1) don't like the LEO restriction marking
    2) M4 roll mark nice(dont flame me please) 3) same rifle anyway.
    Last edited by lt211; 12-29-11 at 20:03. Reason: To answer the q.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lt211 View Post
    Most Officers on my job know nothing about the black rifles and they just see evil looking weapon + LEO marking.
    I'm not being sarcastic here, but who cares what they see?

If what I have is legal, it could be marked as an RPG, and it wouldn't matter what the cop thinks....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    I'm not being sarcastic here, but who cares what they see?

If what I have is legal, it could be marked as an RPG, and it wouldn't matter what the cop thinks....
    I agree and I'm not saying get rid of what you have. But to answer the question if I have both in front of me then why not get the one without the markings. Just because we know its legal doesn't mean your not going to get arrested.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Please tell me wherte this mystical jurisdiction may be located. I will promptly drive around it non-stop with said marked weapon on my backseat waiting for such an incident to occur.

That argument has been bandied about numerous times, yet we can't seem to find any case law that supports it.
    I think you read it wrong. I was agreeing with you.

Feedback Score
    "The burden of proof is not on law enforcement. Police Officers make an arrest based on probable cause(reasonable belief)."

No it is not, however, they cannot arrest someone for whatever they feel like. Probable cause is when a "prudent and cautious" person has belief that a crime has been committed, NOT that something is a crime. The officer must feel that the person they are taking into custody has committed a specific criminal offense, not that 'I am sure that somehow this is against the law.' Can anyone show me any states Penal Code that says, "Civilians cannot be in possession of LE/Mil marked items."
    Manufacturers do not get to say who can own what. They do not enact law. The CAN decide if they restrict sales to LE/Mil, but bottom line if there is no law against ownership/possession, there is absolutely no grounds for arrest/confiscation.
    Any seasoned LE officer has come across a situation where he wasn't sure if a crime has been committed. If the Patrol Sgt/Duty Sgt can't answer, the prudent course of action is to take the information as a 'contact' and turn it over to be run up the chain to determine if prosecution is warranted.
    How many people here bought the Aimpoint PRO? Is anyone worried about getting arrested for that?
    Grant, I think you are a fantastic source of knowledge and 99.9% of the time I agree with what you say, but on this one I think you are off base. If people prefer not to have LE/Mil rollmarks, cool. If people LIKE them, cool. But, I do not worry a bit about having it and running afoul of the law.
    Last edited by Tiny Killer Robot; 12-29-11 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Killer Robot View Post
    Grant, I think you are a fantastic source of knowledge and 99.9% of the time I agree with what you say, but on this one I think you are off base. If people prefer not to have LE/Mil rollmarks, cool. If people LIKE them, cool. But, I do not worry a bit about having it and running afoul of the law.

I just got an e-mail about someone that ran into problems with local LE concerning the LE Only roll marks on the gun. Don't think they were arrested, but they did run into a problem (burden of proof is on them).

While I don't think "LE Only" RM's are an issue CURRENTLY, let another ban come about (from Obama and crew) and I think we might be changing our thought patterns.

C4

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast