Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 67

Thread: Colt LE 6920 vs. Colt SP 6920

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    VA/OH
    Posts
    27,719
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeahe View Post
    The State of California says they're both evil.
    Not for long! There are multiple CA Legal Colt AR's coming in the near future.



    C4

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,503
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    During the the assault weapons ban, people with "LE ONLY marked guns and mags" ran into problems. They ran into problems with everything from the feds to state and local police. Not that the civy did or had an illegal item, the fact remains that the burden of proof was and is ALWAYS on the owner. Let us also be honest and state the fact that many in law enforcement are not overly familiar with weapons laws or what to gun/mag is legal or not.

    While we do not have a ban, you never know when/if we will see another.

    So if you have the option to get a gun or mag without "LE ONLY" always go the "without" route.



    C4
    I like the LE rollmarks. I would take one that is and made out of camel dung glued together by the tears of orphaned & abused children and states "For the Unlawful Purposes of Criminal Intent and Distribution To Minors" if I knew that it was a quality firearm that would go bang every time I pulled the trigger.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    20,952
    Feedback Score
    85 (100%)
    Grant,

    I agree that during the then AWB it may have been a concern. However, we are now almost into 2012 and it is common knowledge that these weapons have been available to civilians for a long time.

    I'll bet that if some type of future ban went into place it would be fairly easy to get a letter from Colt or other reputable sources that would state that the sale of said item wasn't restricted and that it was simply a marking that Colt chose to use.

    I can only hope that I get arrested and charged for such nonsense because I have always wanted to be a lottery winner.

    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    During the the assault weapons ban, people with "LE ONLY marked guns and mags" ran into problems. They ran into problems with everything from the feds to state and local police. Not that the civy did or had an illegal item, the fact remains that the burden of proof was and is ALWAYS on the owner. Let us also be honest and state the fact that many in law enforcement are not overly familiar with weapons laws or what to gun/mag is legal or not.

    While we do not have a ban, you never know when/if we will see another.

    So if you have the option to get a gun or mag without "LE ONLY" always go the "without" route.



    C4





    "A firearm should be considered a fighting weapon first. Any other use should be considered a bonus." -Me

    Click here for Semper Paratus Arms AR15 armorer schedule/locations.

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Multiple armorer certifications

    I am affiliated and work with SIONICS Weapon Systems in Tucson, AZ

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    S.E. PA
    Posts
    1,216
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    the fact remains that the burden of proof was and is ALWAYS on the owner. Let us also be honest and state the fact that many in law enforcement are not overly familiar with weapons laws or what to gun/mag is legal or not.


    C4
    In the American legal system the burden of proof is always on law enforcement for anything.

    They could decide to harass you but they would have to hope you are ignorant of the law or unwilling to take legal action against them.

    Since Colt says they are identical I would definitely go with the SP because it is cheaper. If you were selling them for the same price I would take the LE just because it could only make it easier to sell (if I had to for some reason) for its novelty (especially people new to firearms and gun show dopes).

    I have taken several friends and family shooting with my LE6920 and everyone always makes a comment when they notice it.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Posts
    400
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've been buying "Law Enforcement only" ammo from ammo to go and waiting to get questioned about most of my ammo being marked "L.E. only".

    (sorry i have nothing to contribute to the Colt le 6920 vs SP 6920)

    if given a choice NO markings (other than brand name) is better.
    it just seems we're getting over the top with these *caution coffee is HOT* and un-necessary warnings all over things.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    179
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is another point to all of this. If you look at the history of Colt and there civilian AR's, they have always taken steps to appease. Over the years we have seen in civilian Colt AR's: different sized pins, cut bolt carriers, pinned in sear blocks, bayo lugs removed, redesigned lowers to do the same as the sear block, different hammers, etc., and then.......... carving into the side of their rifles, "LE and Military only". Colt has shown a lack of regards towards the civilian market. I now applaud Colt for taking this carving off the side of their rifles.

    And,..........no one will make a ton of money off of suing the Government.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    VA/OH
    Posts
    27,719
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Grant,

    I agree that during the then AWB it may have been a concern. However, we are now almost into 2012 and it is common knowledge that these weapons have been available to civilians for a long time.

    I'll bet that if some type of future ban went into place it would be fairly easy to get a letter from Colt or other reputable sources that would state that the sale of said item wasn't restricted and that it was simply a marking that Colt chose to use.

    I can only hope that I get arrested and charged for such nonsense because I have always wanted to be a lottery winner.

    While I hope we never see another ban, I think anything is possible and since there is no real need to get something that says "LE ONLY" on the side of it, why risk it?

    Getting a letter out of Colt would be pulling teeth I think.


    C4

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    VA/OH
    Posts
    27,719
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    In the American legal system the burden of proof is always on law enforcement for anything.
    You mean in the PERFECT WORLD, the burden of proof is on Law Enforcement.

    They could decide to harass you but they would have to hope you are ignorant of the law or unwilling to take legal action against them.

    Since Colt says they are identical I would definitely go with the SP because it is cheaper. If you were selling them for the same price I would take the LE just because it could only make it easier to sell (if I had to for some reason) for its novelty (especially people new to firearms and gun show dopes).

    I have taken several friends and family shooting with my LE6920 and everyone always makes a comment when they notice it.
    I know that the ban was a while ago and most either don't remember it, weren't on any gun forum or just weren't into this stuff, but having something with LE marked on it meant that if you came into the wrong situation, they were (at the very least) confiscating your chit until it could be figured out. This type of stuff happened a lot (where the owner had the burden of proof).


    For me, having something marked LE only makes me feel like a Cop wannabe and I would rather not deal with that.



    YMMV.



    C4

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    VA/OH
    Posts
    27,719
    Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMotoxer View Post
    I've been buying "Law Enforcement only" ammo from ammo to go and waiting to get questioned about most of my ammo being marked "L.E. only".

    (sorry i have nothing to contribute to the Colt le 6920 vs SP 6920)

    if given a choice NO markings (other than brand name) is better.
    it just seems we're getting over the top with these *caution coffee is HOT* and un-necessary warnings all over things.
    The LE ammo thing is a bit different. First, LE ammo is basicaly the same as what you can buy a Wal-Mart, but with a few differences. The main one is QC. LE ammo gets more of it. LE ammm can also have a flash retardent in it.

    To date, LE ammo has never had a "ban" on it so there is no issue or confusion to be had.



    C4

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,706
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    During the the assault weapons ban, people with "LE ONLY marked guns and mags" ran into problems. They ran into problems with everything from the feds to state and local police. Not that the civy did or had an illegal item, the fact remains that the burden of proof was and is ALWAYS on the owner. Let us also be honest and state the fact that many in law enforcement are not overly familiar with weapons laws or what to gun/mag is legal or not.

    While we do not have a ban, you never know when/if we will see another.

    So if you have the option to get a gun or mag without "LE ONLY" always go the "without" route.



    C4
    Makes perfect sense especially in a ban state like the one I am in.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

    Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •