Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Colt LE 6920 vs. Colt SP 6920

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeahe View Post
    The State of California says they're both evil.
    I am not going to argue the State of California’s attitude towards firearms but there is a huge difference between an LE6940 and an SP6940 and its legality in California. If you read the California Department of Justice Kasler v. Lockyer Assault Weapon List you will see the following Colt rifles are banned:

Law Enforcement (6920)
    Match Target (all)
    * AR-15 (all)
    Sporter (all)
    *weapons banned under the Robert-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf

The way the law is written (and interrupted) a weapon must be specifically listed to be banned. Many California brick and mortar gun shops, California gun show venders and even some out of state sellers saw the exclusion of the LE6940 under Law Enforcement where the 6920 is specifically listed as enough of a "loophole" to install a “Bullet Button” and a 10 round magazine and sell them to California residents. The change in the roll mark from LE6940 (Law Enforcement) to SP6940 (Sporter) appears to be enough to put the gun back in the ban category in California.
    Last edited by Beanie; 09-29-11 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Not for long! There are multiple CA Legal Colt AR's coming in the near future.

C4
    The new Colt Gelding!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

For me, having something marked LE only makes me feel like a Cop wannabe and I would rather not deal with that.

C4
    This is similar to the retail versus tour issued equipment for professional sports, particularly for golf equipment. Some people pay a very high premium on equipment that were originally released for use by PGA Tour and other professional golfers. Many times, the component is pretty much the same as those available to retail consumers and other times they have prototype or other features that are meant for professionals. Some of the features that are meant for professionals can actually be detrimental to the average golfer, but for others, that performance feature may actually benefit them. A lot of it also comes down to QA/QC where the specifications are inspected much closer. Of course there are also those who want to play the tour issued equipment just to say that they play the same equipment as the guys they try to emulate. Some may say that is being a poser and others may say that is flattery.

In the case of civilan versus MIL/LE firearms, I would think that the QA/QC and testing that often goes into proving a MIL/LE system/component works is of value to the civilians. In this case, I can't really see how a feature meant specifically for MIL/LE would be detrimental to a civilian, provided they are legal (I wouldn't mind trying out an AR15 on burst or full-auto, haha). The QA/QC and testing process isn't cheap and I would expect to pay a premium on that for service and in most cases, I actually prefer to pay that premium for higher quality. That being said, I would never tell someone what they should or shouldn't spend their hard earned money on.
    Last edited by drck1000; 09-29-11 at 19:49. Reason: Correction of "burst OR full-auto"

Feedback Score
    No differance, and here it is from the Colt Forum: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt...fles-colt.html

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just look at how many folks are hunting for "Austrian Proof Marks" on their Glock 19s.

Truthfully people will always want what they can't have or is in limited supply. I am still not 100% sold on the idea of Colt making civilian rifles to the exact same standard & QA/QC as their LE versions else they would just roll them off the same assembly line. But they are not doing that for $ reasons. I don't really care what others decide to do & I will keep to the LE versions/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    really People look at this wrong .they are not different.
    Uppers are built in one spot and the Lowers all the same ,will make their way to the correct Machine that Stamps the Rollmarks LE or the Sporter and then assemble them.the roll marks are the only thing that is different .

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    It is reassuring to hear that the SP guns are essentially the same as Colt LE guns.

As to the controversy regarding the "LE only" rollmark, somehow I doubt that the people that have such guns (I used to have one but I dropped it in a lake by mistake ) will be in a rush to get rid of them.

To me it seems that if the state of society has gotten so dire that LEO's will be looking to confiscate guns, they'll just see a "black rifle" worth confiscating, and I doubt that a roll mark that reads "Gun Designed to save Puppies and Children" will give you a pass at that point.

Remember, the various "assault rifle" bans have targeted makes and features, never specific roll marks.
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
    Just look at how many folks are hunting for "Austrian Proof Marks" on their Glock 19s.

Truthfully people will always want what they can't have or is in limited supply. I am still not 100% sold on the idea of Colt making civilian rifles to the exact same standard & QA/QC as their LE versions else they would just roll them off the same assembly line. But they are not doing that for $ reasons. I don't really care what others decide to do & I will keep to the LE versions/

Please re-read the e-mail I posted by Colt then if you do not believe that they are the same. As they say, straight from the horses (Colt) mount.

C4

Feedback Score
    A "Un-carved" SP is as good as it gets. You finally have a true "Non political correct Colt rifle". Get it while you can. With Colts past history, you never know when they might decide to appease again.

Feedback Score
    Fwiw...
    I was looking around the web and came across a
    Facebook page for colt ( I dont know if its their
    Official facebook page or not ) and it had a post
    Titled colt defense-roll mark change... It was posted
    On 8/5/11@ 11:38 am it goes on to announce imo
    In limited detail the change from the "le" roll mark
    To the "sp" roll mark !... Again this is just a general
    F.Y.I to anybody whose interested !

Cervantes

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast