Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.11 Thumb Drive holster, VTAC approved

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

5.11 Thumb Drive holster, VTAC approved

I was looking through the 5.11 catalog for Fall/Winter and they had a new holster called the Thumb Drive. I looked for info on the error-net and didn't turn up any info, expect a VTAC youtube video. I also searched around here and didn't find anything on it.

Having only seen the video they look pretty good. They look very secure (guys doing pull ups with them in the beginning) and I like the idea of being able to get your master grip on the gun better than the safariland. They block less of the holster than the safarland does. They are also pretty modular like the safariland.

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJfNb0PVbXU

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I am getting in a Thumbdrive test unit. According to the tracking it should be delivered tomorrow.

I am also doing a T&E on the Safariland 6320 also and I am interested in comparing the 2. The 6320 is definitely not a patrol duty type of holster and as an advertised Level I it was not intended to be. Real hesitant on the tactical applications also.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I just received mine last week and took it to the range over the weekend. I'm used to the bale on the Safariland so te thumbdrive took some getting used to but so far I like it.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Excellent info guys. Can you advise how the gun is actually held in the holster? There are guys doing pull-ups with the guns in the holsters on the video. I be interested to know what part of the gun is being blocked by the thumb drive device.

Surf,

I would love to hear your impressions once you've had some time to get use to it.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    OK, sorry was a busy week. I got to use the holster briefly. Again this holster is for a Glock Gen4 G17, but does fit my Gen 3 G19. It is a no go on a G34, but a dremel can solve that issue I am sure. This is the G19 and as can be seen the end of the holster can probably be altered or cut to fit the longslide variants. This is a Blade Tech kydex made for 5.11.

My first impression was that the thumb drive shroud needed to go. Didn't want to take it off, but even though I have med sized hands it didn't seem like my thumb wanted to fit well into the thumb drive area especially when depressing the thumb release. Not enough room.

My next impression was that you really need to sink the weapon, or drive the weapon down into the holster to get it to release which is a good thing. It is a design of the holster and that is OK as I like to drive the weapon downward to establish my good shooting grip. It is also a nice safety feature design of the holster.

The problem, at least for me with the Glock is that to get high on the backstrap and in order to sink my hand and contact the grip deep into the web of my hand my thumb looks like this

However in the above picture I cannot depress the drive. It looks like I can but the drive is pretty stiff and needs a good, firm, straight down push. I cannot do that with a good seated, normal grip.

Now if I position my thumb in a manner to be able to press the release all the way down my thumb looks like this.

With my thumb in a position that I can press the "drive" release all the way in, the release bottoms out long before I can get a positive seat of the pistols backstrap in the the web of my hand. Just because of the bodys mechanics, the thumb does not bend enough when the drive is fully depressed to allow the web of my hand to positively contact the backstrap and grip of the weapon. Because of this I don't get a solid downward push on the pistol which I like and which is also needed to release the pistol. What does this cause? The pistol not releasing with consistency.

This is what my grip looks like when I can consistently depress the drive release. Notice the gaps and the lack of a solid grip. Which I invariably need to adjust during the draw to presentation, which is less than an ideal thing to need to do.

At least for myself, my initial impressions is that the drive release needs to be lower so that I can get the backstrap solid into the web of my hand. Notice I use a Gen 4 with no backstrap and a standard Gen3 and still have the issue. Maybe a larger grip might work better.

I do not want to alter my grip once I seat my hand on the pistol in the holster. I have medium sized hands and I cannot reliably maintain (90%+) accuracy in my draw. At first my accuracy for releasing the pistol was low. Even after practice, at least 10% of the draws that I do, I do not get the pistol to release on the first attempt and I need to "double clutch" my draw. To achieve 90%+ when I depress the release with the tip of my thumb, I need roll my hand pretty far to the rear to push the weapon down with the very back or the heel of my hand which causes a very unnatural feel for myself.

I have tried to sink my grip first then hit the thumb release, but it is just too high. I do like the system and it is more secure than the Safariland 6320 that I am testing, but IMO the thumb drive needs to be set lower on the holster. Again I have medium length fingers and I have maybe only a couple hundred draw presentations and a few hundred rounds fired using this holster. I very much like the concept but IMO it needs to be tweaked a bit. I will also say that if you look at my draw, it looks very natural and normal. Heck when I hit the draw well, it is indeed very quick and fluid looking. But it is nowhere near the consistency that I require.

This is still probably not a good idea for a duty style holster, but may have tactical applications.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i'm sold on that!! no M&P option yet

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Surf,

Thanks for the detailed review. I appreciate the details you touched on and the pictures. Let me ask you this. I realize you have to depress the thumb drive thingy, but do you also have to push the gun down in the holster to release it as well?

I currently use a 6320 and like it but always looking for new interesting stuff.

Do you think when you get a really good draw stroke it is inherently faster than a 6320?

Feedback Score
    surf,

have you tried drawing while using the other hand (as in worse case scenario/disabled primary hand)?

M
    the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.

Feedback Score
    I had one briefly that was a prototype. I like the holster as it is very close to my duty holster in how you release the weapon. The two things I didn't care for is the cut of the thumb release, I suggested a rubber coating similiar to the safariland 6004 release. I also had a tiem with the anti-theft device. It is basically a deal where if you hit the release wrong or someone grabs the gun, it cannot come out without doing a simple procedure.

During some speed draws I was having an issue with the gun getting locked into place. Under stress I could see that being an issue if you fumble **** the draw on the first hit. It would definately be a training issue to address. One thing is for sure until you do the procedure the gun isn't coming out. I was ordered to scrap the prototype and haven't bought one as of yet but most likely will.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    While Reading the entire OP I was trying to figure out why anyone would want a holster for their thumbdrive.....

Yeah I am a dork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast