Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "MIL-SPEC" accuracy...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

"MIL-SPEC" accuracy...

Hey guys, I just wanted to post an example of what a MIL-SPEC rifle can do with standard M855 ammunition. The AR is a bone stock Colt 6920 w/ Aimpoint M4. Ammunition is Israeli Military Industries M855. Earlier today I went to an indoor range to really see what the accuracy potential is for a few of my AR's with the ammunition I usually run in them.

I ran the target out to 100 yards.

As I was sitting there waiting for the target to make its way down the range, a guy came up and asked why I was trying to shoot paper at 100 yards with an AR and a 1X optic (Aimpoint). I said "what do you mean?" His response went something like this: You can barely see what you're aiming at and even if you could you won't print anything but a shotgun pattern at that range with that rifle / ammo. I said "okay, let's see."

10 shots and a few minutes later the target carrier brought this back:

That's 10 shots at around 1.5 MOA with a chrome lined barrel, Aimpoint, and M855.

After the guy gazed at the target for a few minutes, he started getting really interested in AR's (He was shooting a Remington 700 in a hunting configuration). He begrudgingly admitted that he would be hard pressed to shoot the same group with his bolt action. Another convert to the "dark side."

Let this go to show that if you do your part, a standard AR in this configuration can and will perform...so long as the driver does his part.
    Last edited by a0cake; 10-26-11 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    BCM 14.5" mid length with a T1. I got a little ahead of myself and wrote 100 when it was actually closer to 85 yards. That's ok, still pretty decent for the first time with the rifle past 25 yards in the week or so I've had it.

This was xm193. Magazine as a rest.

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 10-26-11 at 18:45.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I've had some A2s that would consistently put the bullet exactly where the front sight said it should go, all the way back to 600 yards (with proper wind-call, of course).
    There's a big difference between threshold precision and what many of these weapons will do out of the box even with issued M855.
    FWIW- I am finding the IMI ammo (I'm shooting the M193) to wholly acceptable for the price it goes for.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good shooting!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, it's not uncommon to see quality ARs group that well even with just mil ammo. I get the same looks and comments when I set targets out in the 75-100 yard area at the outdoor range here. I get even weirder looks when I start shooting at the 5.5" circles while standing.

What can be quite amusing is when everyone walks downrange and they realize the groups they are shooting sitting down, using a sandbag with a bolt action are roughly the same size that a good shooter with AR can put together.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I remember getting good groups with IMI M855 a few years back too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Hey guys, I just wanted to post an example of what a MIL-SPEC rifle can do with standard M855 ammunition. The AR is a bone stock Colt 6920 w/ Aimpoint M4. Ammunition is Israeli Military Industries M855. Earlier today I went to an indoor range to really see what the accuracy potential is for a few of my AR's with the ammunition I usually run in them.

I ran the target out to 100 yards.

As I was sitting there waiting for the target to make its way down the range, a guy came up and asked why I was trying to shoot paper at 100 yards with an AR and a 1X optic (Aimpoint). I said "what do you mean?" His response went something like this: You can barely see what you're aiming at and even if you could you won't print anything but a shotgun pattern at that range with that rifle / ammo. I said "okay, let's see."

10 shots and a few minutes later the target carrier brought this back:

That's 10 shots at around 1.5 MOA with a chrome lined barrel, Aimpoint, and M855.

After the guy gazed at the target for a few minutes, he started getting really interested in AR's (He was shooting a Remington 700 in a hunting configuration). He begrudgingly admitted that he would be hard pressed to shoot the same group with his bolt action. Another convert to the "dark side."

Let this go to show that if you do your part, a standard AR in this configuration can and will perform...so long as the driver does his part.

Excellent group! What is really funny is that M855 is pretty much the LEAST accurate of all the .Mil ammo. So imagine what that group would have looked like with some better ammo and a powered optic!

For those are not aware, Colt makes some of the most accurate (combat grade) barrel on the market. We consistently see 1.0-1.5" groups out of them and .50-.85" groups out of the 6940.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    We consistently see 1.0-1.5" groups out of them and .50-.85" groups out of the 6940.
    Pappabear's 6940 is freakishly accurate.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Pappabear's 6940 is freakishly accurate.
    Ya I know and his isn't the only one we have seen do that.

C4

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Excellent group! What is really funny is that M855 is pretty much the LEAST accurate of all the .Mil ammo. So imagine what that group would have looked like with some better ammo and a powered optic!

For those are not aware, Colt makes some of the most accurate (combat grade) barrel on the market. We consistently see 1.0-1.5" groups out of them and .50-.85" groups out of the 6940.

C4
    I agree about the Colt barrels. I routinely shoot MK262 out of my M4 with 1-4x with great results. You can't ask for anything more out of a combat grade chrome lined barrel.

The steel core in the M855 is what makes them less accurate. It's not an inherent accuracy disadvantage, but a matter of manufacturing difficulty. If the core is not perfectly centered it throws the center of gravity off and you get wobble. Ever get that tight 4 shot group only to have the 5th go wild...and you know you didn't pull the shot? With the old M855 that's usually why. That is part of the reason that M855A1 is more accurate (and I can tell you that it definitely is...although still not the round they should have chosen, but that's a whole different topic).

Really, the whole point of shooting the M855 w/ Aimpoint was to use a platform that the average Joe uses on a daily basis and really see what it'll do indoors. I don't know what kind of voodoo IMI does when making their M855 but I'll keep buying it as long as they keep making it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast