Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boresnake stuck in barrel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Boresnake stuck in barrel

Just as the title says. My boresnake got stuck in just inside the neck of the chamber and broke off just inside the muzzle. What are my options?

A google search reveals some really dumb answers, and even the answers that aren't so dumb haven't worked (i.e. dowel rods).

Has anyone successfully removed a broken snake from an AR-15 barrel without damaging it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Lol youre not the same guy that got the patch stuck in your barrel are you?

Youre NOT gonne damage the barrel man. How far in is it? Can you get some needlenose in there to grab it?

Is any of the nylon pull cord attached to it still?
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No. I have never had a patch stuck in my barrel.

No part of the boresnake is outside of the barrel, and I've tried pliers. I've been afraid to use a metal cleaning rod because of damage. Other rods have bent and/or broken.

Feedback Score
    Is it a hard chromed barrel? I wouldn't worry about damaging it, as it's fairly tough steel.

Feedback Score
    I recall a recent thread where a guy using an OTIS cleaning rod and patch managed to get it stuck.

Drop some CLP or other lube down the barrel and push with a wooden or brass dowel/rod thru the breech end and push out thru the muzzle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Part of it is OUTSIDE of the barrel? Get some big ViceGrips and clamp it on then!

Pull the shit out of it until it cvomes out, is it the size Boresnake for your rifle? Or were you tryin to make something work

I was joking about the patch, there was a guy on here about a month ago that happened to.
    Last edited by BCmJUnKie; 10-02-11 at 16:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    I have had the string brake off one before just before the muzzle used a pair of pliers to pull it the rest of the way out.

You might try using a cleaning rod and and push it into the pull handle were it loops back into its self. I just tried a .40 cal snake and my cleaning rod will slide into the sleeve fairly easily.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If it is a brass or bronze brush and you have time, soak it with an aggressive copper cutter type bore cleaner. It may dissolve it enough to make removal easier. You could also try placing the muzzle in boiling water. The heat might soften the bristles enough to loosen it's grip on the bore.

Make a brass or aluminum slug that will just fit inside your bore. Slightly round the ends. Drop it in from the chamber end. Fit a long dowel behind it and whack it good with a ballpeen or heavy brass hammer. Don't miss and smack the rifle. It will help if you can mount the barrel in a barrel vise to hold the rifle in place while working on it
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-02-11 at 17:52.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If it is a brass or bronze brush and you have time, soak it with an aggressive copper cutter type bore cleaner. It may dissolve it enough to make removal easier. You could also try placing the muzzle in boiling water. The heat might soften the bristles enough to loosen it's grip on the bore.

Make a brass or aluminum slug that will just fit inside your bore. Slightly round the ends. Drop it in from the chamber end. Fit a long dowel behind it and whack it good with a ballpeen or heavy brass hammer. Don't miss and smack the rifle. It will help if you can mount the barrel in a barrel vise to hold the rifle in place while working on it
    The bristles made it out okay, it is just the nylon stuck. No part is sticking out of the barrel (no way to grab it). Is there anyway to dissolve the nylon without damaging the bore?

Feedback Score
    You could try burning it out.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast