Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boresnake stuck in barrel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    Tried ramming it with a cleaning rod. I think the lesson is that if you try to push rope, you get nowhere.

Ok I just tried it for my self it might work but the cleaning rod tore through the sleeve I couldn't recommend it on a match grade barrel
    Out of Ideas other than trying to chemically dissolving the brush.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 10-02-11 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    According to your post, the nylon is stuck. Is this a solid piece of nylon, or the cloth? If it's cloth, and close enough to the muzzle, take a small diameter drill bit and twist it into the cloth. If it doesn't wrap around it enough to catch the cloth and pull it out whole, it should break it up enough to pull it out in pieces.

If it's solid, how did it get stuck? Was the Boresnake the wrong caliber?? Did you try changing directions with the Boresnake without completely drawing it through?

Even so, if I recall correctly, isopropyl alcohol will soften nylon. If it doesn't, I do know a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water will make it very slick

PS- My suggestion of working it out towards the muzzle is based on the idea the obstruction is nearer to that end of the barrel
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-02-11 at 19:42.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Don't know if you have or have access to an air compressor. I've had luck getting many things unstuck with 100psi. Clear vinyl tubing makes a nice airtight adapter when pressurizing a tube(or in this case barrel).

Just something else to try...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    According to your post, the nylon is stuck. Is this a solid piece of nylon, or the cloth? If it's cloth, and close enough to the muzzle, take a small diameter drill bit and twist it into the cloth. If it doesn't wrap around it enough to catch the cloth and pull it out whole, it should break it up enough to pull it out in pieces.

If it's solid, how did it get stuck? Was the Boresnake the wrong caliber?? Did you try changing directions with the Boresnake without completely drawing it through?

Even so, if I recall correctly, isopropyl alcohol will soften nylon. If it doesn't, I do know a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water will make it very slick

PS- My suggestion of working it out towards the muzzle is based on the idea the obstruction is nearer to that end of the barrel
    Drill bit doesn't work, air compressor doesn't work.

It got stuck during normal use. It is a .22 cal boresnake. It got stuck when the loop of nylon entered the neck of the chamber. It broke right at the muzzle. I may try the IPA approach. I don't think IPA reacts with nylon, however (I will test it on nylon outside the barrel before I go dousing it).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you have an empty primed case, try that & see if it blows it out. A primer alone will not damage the rifle or anything else. I don't know if a blank would cause damage or not, although they do use them to safely launch grenades and golf balls. All the usual safety warnings apply
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If you have an empty primed case, try that & see if it blows it out. A primer alone will not damage the rifle or anything else. I don't know if a blank would cause damage or not, although they do use them to safely launch grenades and golf balls. All the usual safety warnings apply
    I'll take it to a gunsmith before I try that. I'm going to call a local gunsmith and see if he knows of a way to take care of it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never had anything stuck in an AR barrel. Worst stuck experience I ever had, a squib load on a 454 magnum cartridge stuck a 300 grain bullet in my Super Redhawk about 1/8 inch below flush of the forcing cone. "No big deal" says I. Wrong. After a week of half measures I bought a piece of 3/8 aluminum rod and cut it an inch longer than necessary and had my buddy hold the rear of the barrel on a steel bench while I beat on the rod with a 2 pound hammer. It took five or six hard blows to make it move. Same principle here, you need a rod, ideally just longer than necessary with two flat ends. Less than ideal is a cleaning rod with a handle on one end and a bore or external threads on the other end. You need something like this. Cut it to length, file square if necessary, drop it down the bore and start hammering. You might want to improvise some kind of rod guide for the muzzle which can be as simple as tape to protect that critical area. Hit it hard enough and the obstruction will come out. I have never used a Bore Snake, never liked the concept. Now I have validation.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I dont know exactly how far yours is in the chamber, so this may or may not work...

Last edited by Quiet-Matt; 10-02-11 at 20:33.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i'd try a brass screw attached to a rod (somehow), then screwed into it to pull it out from the chamber end. i'd work on figuring out how to pull it out rather than push it out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There's some ingenious shit in this thread. I'm gonna file this stuff away.

I'm particularly disappointed that the air compressor thing didn't work. I thought that was extremely clever.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast