Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boresnake stuck in barrel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    i'd try a brass screw attached to a rod (somehow), then screwed into it to pull it out from the chamber end. i'd work on figuring out how to pull it out rather than push it out.
    LOL. I still like that idea.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    There's some ingenious shit in this thread. I'm gonna file this stuff away.

I'm particularly disappointed that the air compressor thing didn't work. I thought that was extremely clever.
    Compressed air usually works. It's the safe way to unload muzzle loaders.

Speaking of a screw at the end of a rod and muzzle loaders, there is a special device for pulling stuck balls from a bore. It has an auger at the end of a rod to screw into the lead ball so it can be extracted. Something similar could be used to clear the obstruction of this barrel, even it it has to be pulled out in bits & pieces
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-02-11 at 20:42.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    How about compressed air out of a scuba tank? Wouldn't get to the full 3000 PSI I'm sure, but the right fitting might get it up a lot higher than 125 PSI.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    How about compressed air out of a scuba tank? Wouldn't get to the full 3000 PSI I'm sure, but the right fitting might get it up a lot higher than 125 PSI.
    And make a video.
    Last edited by Quiet-Matt; 10-02-11 at 20:52.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a better choice for a drive rod. Drill rod. You want it as large as possible and still fit freely in the bore. I'm not sure which rod rod is ideal, I can gauge a barrel with number drills tomorrow and give you the exact size but the closer fit the better. Sitting here in my underwear, I'm guessing a number 4, .204 diameter would be a good choice. I guarantee you, hit it hard with a hammer, the stupid patch will come out. You are looking at three bux for the rod and four or five to ship. Presumably you already have a hammer. Compressed air would work, three problems, adapting a fitting to the barrel, connecting to the high pressure air cylinder and the gas tube. You would have to figure out a way to cork up the gas tube. A muzzle loader patch puller might work but the smallest patch puller is much larger than your little bitty .224 bore. What you need is a hammer and a punch. A big hammer and a long punch.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 10-02-11 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet-Matt View Post
    I dont know exactly how far yours is in the chamber, so this may or may not work...
    Very cool idea, but mine is much deeper than that. I also don't have any nylon jags. I'll file this away if I get a chance to get the equipment before taking it to a gunsmith.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

This "8-32 wood screw hanger stud" might work as a "ball puller".
    Part Number 90207A182 from McMaster Carr. LINK

Just will need to figure out a way to not tear up your cleaning rod when you try to turn it.

If you get these, let some people here know, I'm sure some of us will buy some from you to avoid having to buy a 100 of them.

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's not that hard to set something up with compressed air. They sell air nozzles with a rubber tip. Push it in the chamber or bore, hit the lever and whooosh!

Matter of fact, they sell CO2 muzzle loader unloaders that might adapt easily.

I'm still trying to picture how this thing is such an ass kicker
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'm still trying to picture how this thing is such an ass kicker
    Me too. I've been using boresnakes for a long time. What is even crazier is that it isn't the brass part that is stuck, just the nylon. Calling gunsmith today. I may even see if Rainier Arms would take a look at it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    Me too. I've been using boresnakes for a long time. What is even crazier is that it isn't the brass part that is stuck, just the nylon. Calling gunsmith today. I may even see if Rainier Arms would take a look at it.
    Please let us know how this gets fixed.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast