Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Boresnake stuck in barrel

Feedback Score
    l broke one off in my 17hmr once close to the muzzle, bent a fish hook (3/0 or 4/0, smaller ones might break) straight stuck it down into/through the wad of nylon, tied the hook to 40lb test, put on a glove wrapped the line around my hand and pulled it out no problem. It was stuck good like yours rod/dowel wouldn't work.

Obviously just make sure you use the sharpest hook you can find, the hardest part is getting in past the barb. Good luck.

Maybe the pic is deceiving, but it looks like thats it hanging out of the chamber? Cant you just pull it back through?
    Last edited by anthony1; 10-07-11 at 03:13.

Feedback Score
    You can take this idea or leave it, but if it were me, I would take a length of stainless TIG rod, at least 1/16" diameter, and pound one end flat, then make a spear out of it with barbs. Push the spear into the barrel as far as you can, or if that won't work, heat it up cherry red and then push it in. Once cool, make a loop in the end and pull. I would do this from the stuck end.

If that didn't work, I would make a few of these and push them into one end, then pull on all of them at the same time. Stainless steel is tough but soft, so my guess is that it wouldn't scratch the bore too badly. Seing as how you're kind of screwed anyway, I would take the chance.

Nylon is surprisingly resistant to many of the tougher solvents like TCE and DCM that would dissolve other plastics fairly easily. Anyway, the last thing you want is plasticized nylon goo in your barrel, gas port, etc. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyohte View Post
    Wow. That's crazy. Thank you, Kyohte, for documenting your unfortunate episode - and for doing so in such a calm manner. I use Boresnakes quite a bit, and threads like this always refresh my awareness of potential problems with the devices.

My only suggestion is to NOT sell the complete upper. I think the worst case scenario would be to have to replace the barrel; not the whole upper.

Subscribed. Good luck. Thanks again for sharing.
    One doesn't need to be sick to get better.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
    Maybe the pic is deceiving, but it looks like thats it hanging out of the chamber? Cant you just pull it back through?
    Pretty sure that's the muzzle....and it certainly looks like enough hanging out to get a ahold of with a pair of pliers....weird.

Feedback Score
    Ouch man, that sucks.

I guess I will discontinue my occasional use of mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Here is a better choice for a drive rod. Drill rod. You want it as large as possible and still fit freely in the bore. I'm not sure which rod rod is ideal, I can gauge a barrel with number drills tomorrow and give you the exact size but the closer fit the better. Sitting here in my underwear, I'm guessing a number 4, .204 diameter would be a good choice. I guarantee you, hit it hard with a hammer, the stupid patch will come out. You are looking at three bux for the rod and four or five to ship. Presumably you already have a hammer. Compressed air would work, three problems, adapting a fitting to the barrel, connecting to the high pressure air cylinder and the gas tube. You would have to figure out a way to cork up the gas tube. A muzzle loader patch puller might work but the smallest patch puller is much larger than your little bitty .224 bore. What you need is a hammer and a punch. A big hammer and a long punch.
    I fail to see how something like a near bore size drive rod of brass would not pound this sucker out with zero damage to the bore. Brass and nylon cloth is not going to damage the ore no matter how hard you pound.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am glad you got it out. I need to figure out a way to attach a piece to end of the boresnake in case this ever happens (know on wood).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's not out yet. It's still stuck. Yes, I can grab the end now, but it still wont budge. I've tried a few more things mentioned and they still have not worked. It is going to the gunsmith tomorrow.

And yes, that's the muzzle that it is sticking out of.

Judging by where the snake broke off, I think the portion left in the barrel is fairly stretched out (which doesn't make since as to why it is stuck).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How old was the Boresnake itself?

It looks like its seen better days.

That or trying to get it out took its toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For what it's worth, there are a number of things listed here that will soften or dissolve nylon: http://www.carlislefsp.com/files/solventguide.pdf

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast