Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are vertical grips legal now

Feedback Score

Are vertical grips legal now

At the Orlando gun show there was a dealer selling ar pistols with vertical grips. He said that they were legal. The ATF had giving him a letter. Saying that the pistols were more than 26.6 inches long. There were no longer considered a pistol and where consider an other weapon. Anyone aware of this.

Feedback Score
    yes.

I believe that the ruling by the ATF was based on a question submitted by Kahr regarding some Thompson product that they sell, but it applies to ARs as well if the total length is greater than 26 inches.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrich007 View Post
    At the Orlando gun show there was a dealer selling ar pistols with vertical grips.
    That configuration is not a pistol.

It is a "firearm" under the GCA, like a Mossberg 12ga with pistol grip is not a shotgun or a pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    That configuration is not a pistol.

It is a "firearm" under the GCA, like a Mossberg 12ga with pistol grip is not a shotgun or a pistol.

would that be an AOW?
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Franklin Arms got a ruling from the ATF with an 11.5" AR pistol upper on an AR lower with carbine length buffer tube. Longer than 26", it can have a vert. grip.
    Always check you local and state laws.
    Dave
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by obucina View Post
    would that be an AOW?
    No, an AOW must be concealable and that is where the 26" OAL minimum comes in.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow65 View Post
    Franklin Arms got a ruling from the ATF with an 11.5" AR pistol upper on an AR lower with carbine length buffer tube. Longer than 26", it can have a vert. grip.
    Always check you local and state laws.
    Dave
    This is where I got the information as well. There's a letter out there, they produce 11.5 ar pistols with VFG's now.

Feedback Score
    Have VFG's ever been illegal when added to a pistol by the end user? I know the ATF has published their opinion, but has anyone ever been convicted in Federal Court for adding a VFG to a pistol? Every case I have ever read was dismissed by the Judge or found not guilty.

Don't get me wrong, I do not have one on a pistol, nor do I want one. I also understand that I could lose everything/go broke defending myself against the ATF's opinion. I am just wondering if anyone knows of anyone being successfully prosecuted for adding a VFG to a pistol?
    Last edited by az doug; 12-27-11 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by az doug View Post
    Have VFG's ever been illegal when added to a pistol by the end user?

YES THAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN A.O.W. ( Any Other Weapon)

I know the ATF has published their opinion, but has anyone ever been convicted in Federal Court for adding a VFG to a pistol? Every case I have ever read was dismissed by the Judge or found not guilty.

Normally it is thrown out in exchange for a plee on other charges.

Don't get me wrong, I do not have one on a pistol, nor do I want one. I also understand that I could lose everything/go broke defending myself against the ATF's opinion. I am just wondering if anyone knows of anyone being successfully prosecuted for adding a VFG to a pistol?

I can think of the 1 guy with a SP89 on Gunbroker a few years back that got caught when he tried to sell the gun with the VFG attached in the pictures. IIRC he did do alittle time.
    Last edited by MrM4; 01-04-12 at 22:37.
    FFL 07/02

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Those of you whom have commented recently need to re-read what was posted and what ToddK mentioned. This is only legal in limited circumstances as has been spelled out.

Don't read into this.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast