Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best SPR Style Rifle vs Cost?

Feedback Score
    This is what I picked up recently. BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ PRI 12" BLACK Handguard 1/8 Twist
    It makes me look good and it still has other uses besides precision. I now have retired my other BM upper.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    This is what I picked up recently. BCM SS410 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ PRI 12" BLACK Handguard 1/8 Twist
    It makes me look good and it still has other uses besides precision. I now have retired my other BM upper.
    I'm starting to lean towards an all BCM set up (will need to get the upper and lower seperately to spread out the $$$). What type of accuracy are you getting with the BCM 16" Stainless? Anyone tried the BCM ion bond black barrels - any real advantage to these over standard stainless?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I'm starting to lean towards an all BCM set up (will need to get the upper and lower seperately to spread out the $$$). What type of accuracy are you getting with the BCM 16" Stainless? Anyone tried the BCM ion bond black barrels - any real advantage to these over standard stainless?
    I haven't had it long enough to (just got it) to answer that. I haven't shot anything but plinking-type ammo to zero, etc. I do have some decent 69 gr. re-loads that I will try out this week for some more serious testing.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I went with a 18 inch White Oak Barrel / rifle system and a 12 DD rail with BCM upper. Its a half inch gun and the rifle gas system makes it smooth.

BCM has so many uppers already built, you should be able to find a winner. If you can swing the money, Noveske is tops and they also offer a variety of configurations to choose.

Id go Noveske on the upper and Larue on the mount
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    There is not much accuracy difference as far as I can tell, with shooting all three. I have to give the pure accuracy advantage to the Larue but believe the real difference is more in subtle refinements than accuracy. You're talking about my personal 3 favorite AR manufacturers.
    SEB5 - if you quantify the accuracy advantage of the Larue barrel vs the ss BCM what if the difference. .5 MOA vs .75 or 1 MOA? I had gotten close to going with the BCM but looking at the Larue SPR again is pulling me towards the Larue. The Larue upper is $1195 on their website can you typically get the Larue products cheaper at there distributors?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I recently did the same thing. I assembled an 18" spr to complement my 12.5" sbr. Like Pappabear, after doing some research, I went with a White Oak barrel, rifle length system with Centurion rail. I bought everything from Rainier Arms. It ran about $1200. They are good people and have plenty of items in stock. Which brings me to my question, how long will you have to wait for the Larue or Noveske? They were 4-6 months when I last checked.
    Here in America we are descended in spirit from revolutionists and rebels - men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, address, Columbia University, 31 May 1954

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    I recently did the same thing. I assembled an 18" spr to complement my 12.5" sbr. Like Pappabear, after doing some research, I went with a White Oak barrel, rifle length system with Centurion rail. I bought everything from Rainier Arms. It ran about $1200. They are good people and have plenty of items in stock. Which brings me to my question, how long will you have to wait for the Larue or Noveske? They were 4-6 months when I last checked.
    AMAC _ I'm not familiar with the White Oak barrel upper. Did the upper cost $1200 or the whole rifle? I haven't checked on Noveske or Larue wait times. I'm still in the research stage and may be more towards Christmas before I place the order. I wouldn't mind waiting 4 - 6 months for it to arrive - if its best. I'd like to have a 1/2 MOA gun if I I can get that within reason ($1500 - $1600 before optics).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12