Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New AR10 Build. Geissele SSA-E vs Hi-Speed Match

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Very educational posts on the Geissele trigger options and differences. I recently got an SSA-E trigger for the first time and put it on a precision rifle, and all I can say is that for my use, it's a fantastic trigger. From what I've read, it's also robust and reliable to use on a fighting gun. However, if you want to punch tiny holes in paper, there are probably lighter/smoother triggers to look at. It really depends on what your intended uses for the rifle are. In my simplistic way of looking at it, in AR triggers it seems there's a trade-off between two major factors: reliability, and a light/smooth trigger pull. You cannot have the best of both IMO, you have to compromise somewhat on one of these factors in order to increase the other one. If you are primarily building a target rifle (and it sounds like you might be), then probably as Trident says, you can find something better than the SSA-E. You'll give up some degree of reliability, but then, on target rifle, it's debatable how much you really need a "hard use" trigger anyway.

The basis of my opinions is that AR's are fighting/duty/military/home defense guns. People do use them for competition, which is fine, but precision competition does not always translate over into the above mentioned uses.

I think the HI Speed triggers would be fine for a duty gun, and I would trust one just only saying that the non adjustable versions offer a little bit more simplicity and are less likely to cause any issues. Not saying the HI Speed will cause issues on you just that a non adjustable version is less likely to. The HI Speed DMR is used by the military, and has had a fantastic track record in civilian use so I don't think its anything to worry about. Real world use shows its a reliable quality trigger but on paper maybe something non adjustable would be a bit more reliable theoretically speaking.

If you want to err on the side of utmost reliability then the non adjustables would be best. I would not hesitate to use a Hi speed in a duty related role just don't find the extra cost beneficial in that type of role. On my Mk12 build I enjoyed it a lot, and would not have changed it out for anything.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stang46gt View Post
    Thanks for all the info folks. Midway said they shipped my SD-E trigger already. SInce I'm only ordering 1-2 components a month it will be a while before I can try it, unless I put it in one of the AR15's to test it out.

I will be around soaking up the info for my next purchase. My biggest concerns are the upper and glass. I want a 20" barrel and not sure of the glass yet.
    Drop that sucker in an AR15 and let it rip in interim

Since your looking at the most expensive stock and just bought the Ferrari of triggers, what's your budget for the glass? The glass will be arguably the most important component to this future build of yours.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    If you want to err on the side of utmost reliability then the non adjustables would be best. I would not hesitate to use a Hi speed in a duty related role just don't find the extra cost beneficial in that type of role. On my Mk12 build I enjoyed it a lot, and would not have changed it out for anything.
    Good point, and I guess it's consistent with what I was trying to get at, which is that the non-adjustable triggers are intended to OPTIMIZE reliability simply because there's less things to go wrong. But your other point is well taken: it's not exactly like the Geissele adjustable triggers are an accident waiting to happen. They have a pretty good track record as well, and could be a great choice for a precision rig. I should probably check out the SD-E sometime as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Drop that sucker in an AR15 and let it rip in interim

Since your looking at the most expensive stock and just bought the Ferrari of triggers, what's your budget for the glass? The glass will be arguably the most important component to this future build of yours.
    I've given the glass a lot of thought but have not done much research yet. I would like to keep the upper and glass uder 3K for the both. At this point I'm looking to get pointed in the general direction and I research more from there. Other than 1-200 yard hunting scopes I have not needed a long range scope since the early 80's and a lot have changed since then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12