Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bufferless?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Bufferless?

I have been doing some reading and please let me know if I am understanding this. If I were to use a piston kit on an AR, with some work I could ditch the whole buffer, tube, and buffer spring assembly and use a side folding stock like a PDW? Similar to the piston/spring system on an AK or SKS.
    "...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Founding Father Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    No.

Unless you redesign the bolt, and a buffer system, there ain't no way that you are putting a folding stock on an AR type weapon.

I really am not sure where you have been researching, but there is no way that what you describe is even remotely possible.

If you want a folding stock (still don't know why anyone would go out of their way to have a folding stock...) get a rifle that was designed with a folding stock in mind.

Attempting to retro-fit a folding stock on a weapon that was intended to have a buffer tube attached to the rear of the receiver will end in disaster...
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 10-06-11 at 21:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    No.

Unless you redesign the bolt, and a buffer system, there ain't no way that you are putting a folding stock on an AR type weapon.

I really am not sure where you have been researching, but there is no way that what you describe is even remotely possible.

If you want a folding stock (still don't know why anyone would go out of their way to have a folding stock...) get a rifle that was designed with a folding stock in mind.

Attempting to retro-fit a folding stock on a weapon that was intended to have a buffer tube attached to the rear of the receiver will end in disaster...
    Actually I found what I remembered from a long time ago. Olympic Arms had the OA93 and another off shoot of that the name eludes me right now. Thanks to the Clinton AWB, the whole project pretty much got scrapped.

Now to see if I can find one of those old uppers and not spend a truck full of $$$.
    "...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Founding Father Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightgunner View Post
    Actually I found what I remembered from a long time ago. Olympic Arms had the OA93 and another off shoot of that the name eludes me right now. Thanks to the Clinton AWB, the whole project pretty much got scrapped.

Now to see if I can find one of those old uppers and not spend a truck full of $$$.
    Why would you spend any money for an Olympic Arms rifle? Good advice has already been given. If you want a gun with a folding stock, buy a gun where the design allows for a folding stock (AK, SCAR, etc).

Feedback Score
    There are a lot of options for a colapsable stock in 556 now. PARA and RRA have some.

HK has a new PDW with a new stock that looks bufferless. I think they have been able to balance a short BCG and just a spring in a tiny buffer tube.

There is also another smaller company doing the same thing but I will have to do some searching.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    As far as I know nothing you have cited is actually available for purchase and none of them are proven. By proven I don't mean someone went to the range one time and it worked for 300 rounds.

I mean proven as in the system has had thousands and thousands of rounds trhough it over time and all the kinks worked out.

As others have mentioned, if you want a folding system get something designed to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Knuckle View Post
    There are a lot of options for a colapsable stock in 556 now. PARA and RRA have some.

HK has a new PDW with a new stock that looks bufferless. I think they have been able to balance a short BCG and just a spring in a tiny buffer tube.

There is also another smaller company doing the same thing but I will have to do some searching.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As appealing as an AR with a folding stock may seem, the chances of getting your hands on one that is actually going to be reliable is probably pretty slim, not to mention you will probably lose parts commonality/modularity. Like others have said, look towards some guns that were designed ground-up for a folding stock, not retro-fitted.

The SCAR comes to mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Isn't the KAC PDW a bufferless design as well?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    As far as I know nothing you have cited is actually available for purchase and none of them are proven. By proven I don't mean someone went to the range one time and it worked for 300 rounds.

I mean proven as in the system has had thousands and thousands of rounds trhough it over time and all the kinks worked out.

As others have mentioned, if you want a folding system get something designed to use it.
    Ok, I guess I should have spent more time in wording what I stated.

I certainly don't claim to know it all. I just want to pass on what I have seen and read

IF I was buying a rifle to depend my life on, yes, it would be one with a LONG proven track record.

But, for a recreational shooter there are AR15 options from reputable manufactures.

As far as buying a HK 416 PDW, I can't say at the moment. I would imagine that you can, or in the near future, you could buy a HK. Since its HK you would need to be LE/Mil.

For info sake I will post the website/company with a system like HK. You would, however, need to be able to own a SBR.

For the OP I think this could be a great option. This one is made by RRA, a reputable company.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Yes, and you still can't buy one. That's the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Isn't the KAC PDW a bufferless design as well?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast