Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to change the barrel extension??

Feedback Score

how to change the barrel extension??

hi guys
    this evening a friend of mine with an oberland arms broke the barrel extension.
    i bought a new one, and the tool to change it...

but.. i dont know how to do the work..
    have i to remove the pin before? or simply unscrew it? and what about the alligment???

please any info will be appreciated
    andy

Feedback Score
    How did you say the barrel extension broke?? I have never see one just break.
    You just unscrew it, the pin will stay with it. There is one problem though, when you put the new extension on and torque it down you will almost surely realize that in its indexed in a different location than the original, now the gas hole is not at 12:00 and is off. So what I am saying is you really caint replace your barrel extension unless you have a lathe to cut the shoulder of your barrel to get the gas hole lined back up, and then you will find the headspace is now tight, now you have to ream your chamber to get it back in spec.....................

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADC View Post
    How did you say the barrel extension broke?? I have never see one just break.
    You just unscrew it, the pin will stay with it. There is one problem though, when you put the new extension on and torque it down you will almost surely realize that in its indexed in a different location than the original, now the gas hole is not at 12:00 and is off. So what I am saying is you really caint replace your barrel extension unless you have a lathe to cut the shoulder of your barrel to get the gas hole lined back up, and then you will find the headspace is now tight, now you have to ream your chamber to get it back in spec.....................
    In other words, unless you're a competent machinist with at least $10,000 worth of machine tools, you're better off buying a new barrel.
    Last edited by 87GN; 03-25-10 at 01:13.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    broke the barrel extension

How???

Feedback Score
    how i know is broke???
    well... i found half barrel extension on the ground......))

well.. here in italy and in europe, is know that first lot of ar15 made by oberland arms in germany had barrel extension fragile.. due a wrong hardening process.

yesterday i tryed to fix the rifle..cause the last 2 rounds on every mags shooted had a stove pip jam...
    so start cleaning it, changing bolt, then lower receiver.
    same results.
    during 5 rounds shooted in rapid fire, i have a jam, and the bolt was lock in close position..
    forcing on charging handle, i open it, extract the case.. and saw part of barrel ext. falling down on the ground..

i will post a pic if my friend have time to take it.
    so i bought a new B.E and the wrench.. but this moring he called the factory and tjhey will change the barrel in warranty...
    so i will keep this parts for my rifles as spare parts...

Feedback Score
    oh..
    here in italy.. is more symply to change the B.E rather than buy a new barrel...
    here we doent have on sale..
    the only one have it is midway italy.. but time to have it is arround 2 months.. with a lot of stupid papers...
    here .. a barrel is like a weapon of mass destruction...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So you have access to a machine shop and a competent gunsmith that can time the barrel extension for you and ream the chamber? Or are you a gunsmith? Your previous posts suggest otherwise. Did you not understand what ADC posted?

Feedback Score
    im not a machinst.. my best friend yes.. and have tools and machinery to do the work... ;-))

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    well, at least the manufacturer is doing the right thing. It'll save you guys a bit of labor and you won't end up with an unchromed chamber.

Feedback Score
    some pics of the barrel extension gone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast