Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk318 vs 5.56 75gr TAP

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Mk318 vs 5.56 75gr TAP

If barriers are not an issue, which round has better performance against unobstructed targets? Ive heard this mentioned before that Mk318 isnt yaw dependent, if so wouldnt Mk318 be a much better choice than the heavy OTMs since they will be able to fragment at much lower velocities?

Feedback Score
    Let's be clear on exactly what "Not yaw dependent" means; this refers specifically to projectiles that do not suffer from AOA issues or fleet yaw problems as is common with loads such as M193 and M855. Rifle loads that tend not to be yaw dependent include TBBC, Win Bonded, CLUB, Gold Dot, Partition, TSX, SOST, etc...

For unobstructed targets, both the loads specified will likely produce similar results--I would be OK using either one in that situation, although for general purpose use, I'd prefer one of the loads listed in the second paragraph here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

Feedback Score
    It seems that most people looking for a non barrier-blind load will be using their rifle in a defensive capacity in, or around their home in heavily populated areas. In these scenarios it would a seem to me that the reduced lethality (vs. Pistol loads, or barrier-blind .223/5.56) of heavy OTM loads after passing through intermediate barriers is an asset rather than a liability.

It would however make sense to keep a barrier-blind load available for special circumstances in marked, or different type/capacity magazines in the event additional penetration is needed.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    DOC answered the question, but my question is, how do you know that you won't have any barriers between you and the target?

I wish I had a crystal ball when it come to this stuff, but I don't. So I use barrier blind rounds.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    DOC answered the question, but my question is, how do you know that you won't have any barriers between you and the target?

I wish I had a crystal ball when it come to this stuff, but I don't. So I use barrier blind rounds.

C4
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    In those situations where intermediate barrier penetration is not a critical requirement, for example LE urban entries
    I don't see how home defense differs from an LE urban entry. Most civilians have no need to shoot into vehicles with their AR-15s which is where bonded loads have a distinct advantage over OTMs. I also firmly believe that a fragmenting OTM will cause more soft tissue damage than a bonded bullet that expands, and retains most of its weight. This is critical inside the home where the threat is possibly only feet away.
    Last edited by bernieb90; 10-08-11 at 23:17.

Feedback Score
    I am aware of a couple LE entry situations the last several years where fragmenting .223 projectiles failed to incapacitate suspects who were behind walls, furniture, and other cover while shooting at LE officers. In those situations, I suspect barrier blind projectiles would have given officers an advantage at ending the fight...

Feedback Score
    That is definetly a good point. In shootings involving bonded JSP .223/5.56 have you noted whether the projectiles typically exit the subject? I understand overpenetration is far less of a concern than outright misses, but assuming good shot placement how much of a threat do exiting projectiles pose to people in adjacent rooms?

Feedback Score
    Most of the time the .223/5.56 mm barrier blind bullets are staying in the felons...when they do exit, the projectiles generally are non-aerodynamic in shape and traveling fairly slowly, so they tend to bounce off nearby walls.

Feedback Score
    That is very good to know. Thank you very much sir.

Feedback Score
    I was going to make a new thread, but I think my post will somewhat add to this discussion.

Based on Dr. Robert's (among others) research, I've come to the conclusion that the Hornady 75gr TAP BTHP is among the best loads for use in "urban entries" and HD, but I'd like to know whether or not it is a good choice in an apartment complex where your neighbors are only a few inches away from you.

Yes, I know, "Don't miss," is the obvious response, and I don't PLAN to miss. We all should know what happens to plans, even the best laid plans, once contact is made with the enemy, however. And yes, I'm doing as much training as I can possibly afford, which includes three carbine training courses within the next two months along with range time at least once a week. (I only recently purchased my first carbine, an LWRC M6A3, so my Glock 22 is still my primary HD weapon until I'm comfortable enough with the carbine).

What I need to know is this: Would I better off with a load like the 75gr TAP BTHP, or would a load like the 60gr Hornady Rem TAP Urban, which I believe uses a VMAX bullet, work better under these circumstances (or any circumstances for that matter)?

Basically, is my worry that a once in a blue moon miss with a 75gr TAP round would penetrate a dividing wall and wound a neighbor justified or not?

Yes, I know, "Don't miss," but this question remains important, as, "To err is human."
    Last edited by Hawkeye M6A3; 10-11-11 at 18:57. Reason: Grammatical error.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast