Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Mk318 vs 5.56 75gr TAP

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    On unobstructed shots, the 75 gr OTM and Mk318 Mod0 will generally offer similar tissue disruption, however the base of the SOST round will likely exit the suspect while the 75 gr OTM does not.

While the Mk318 is a great round for military personnel, there are a lot of better options for LE and civilians, as listed in the second paragraph here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

Is there a reason I can't access the highlighted thread?

Can someone enlighten me as to which rounds are mentioned?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    [/COLOR][/B]

Is there a reason I can't access the highlighted thread?

Can someone enlighten me as to which rounds are mentioned?
    2 reasons. Either it was deleted after M4C and Doc split ways, or it's in the LE only forum.

Try this: ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/#.223

Probably not the same article, but still good info.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great thread.
    A question to the masses - Does anyone know the nomenclature for the 70gr TSX loaded by BHA for the military?
    opsoff

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads"- Colonel Charlie Beckwith

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Even LE agencies have a difficult time getting some of those loads, particularly the federal 62 grain load. Hence the reason we just switched to the Hornady TAP barrier.

I don't see much benefit to the 5.56 loading for almost any foreseeable scenario so I don't worry about that to much.

Joe
    "The world would be a better place if more people owned wild animals and were eaten by them" me

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    On unobstructed shots, the 75 gr OTM and Mk318 Mod0 will generally offer similar tissue disruption, however the base of the SOST round will likely exit the suspect while the 75 gr OTM does not.
    I had a through and through on a 200+ lb buck last year with MK318at about 80 yards from a 20" barrel, double lung/heart shot with a half dollar sized exit in the rib cage opposite of the entry wound, only small jacket fragments found in the deer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbankaos04 View Post

ETA 2: Is the small amount of exposed lead on the SPEER rounds a non-issue? I remember DocGKR saying that this was an issue with some rounds that had more exposed lead.
    Before switching to the 64 gr Nosler BSB's in handloads I shot primarily 64gr Winchester PP projectiles and never encountered an issue with lead buildup on feed ramps or any type of reliability issues. Also ran a 1000rd case of BHA 55gr soft points in a class and no issues.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910