Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOFTT-W vs CAT, ease of application?

Feedback Score

SOFTT-W vs CAT, ease of application?

I've been reading that people prefer the CAT to the SOFTT. One of the reasons stated was that the CAT was easier to apply. After watching demonstration videos of each, I am leaning towards the SOFTTW, since it has a quick attach buckle rather than the double threading/velcro the CAT requires. It seems the SOFTT buckle would be faster under stress. Does anyone have any input? I searched on the topic, but most of the threads are over a year old, and I wanted impressions about the most current design of each TQ.

I've never handled either, though. I'm doing research for my first purchase.

SOFTT-W video

CAT video

Feedback Score
    Both good....personal preference the CAT.

Feedback Score
    Both work as advertised; just remember to pull all the slack out of the free running end before you turn the windlass (stick).
    Tourniquet, nose hose, chest seal, dart!

In chaos, there is hope!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just had a class from Pelham Tactical located in Bloomington In.,for GSW treatment. We used both of the tourniquets. listed as well as the Swat T. I preferred the Swat T for it's simplicity, and the CAT was second. On my gear, I carry both at this point. But for it's cost and ease of use and carry, I think it is hard to beat the Swat T.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I remember correctly, I had a hard time applying the SOFT-T to myself with one hand, so my preference is for the CAT.

However, the CAT has it's own set of problems--first, the windlass is plastic, so I have heard reports of them breaking while trying to wrench down on a bleeding extremity. Second, the TQ is also velcro based, so again, reports of the velcro getting clogged up and failing to function absent use of the tri-glide. Finally, the velcro can get bumped loose, causing the TQ to stop functioning as it should.

On balance, in my humble opinion, the SOFT-T should be the superior TQ. The aluminum windlass, plus the method of securing the strap (a metal clamp with a screw on it, versus velcro) seems more secure than the velcro of the CAT. I have both on my kit.

YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it really matters. I have both. In most all cases, either one will be completely sufficient.

It's much more important that you have one available and know when/where/how to apply it correctly. Pick one (or buy one of each - they aren't that expensive), get proper training on it's use and then purchase an extra for training only. You're likely to be just as proficient with one as the other, so long as you've trained with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I'm reminded of my lefthandedness every time I shoot a belt-fed with short sleeves on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I personally prefer the CAT since its faster to apply one handed. I prefer the SOF-T for putting on someone else's thigh for something like a femoral bleed since they are a little more durable.

The downside of the CATs being plastic is somewhat misleading. The CAT (and all tourniquets to my knowledge) are designed to be one time use. People training with their carry tourniquets weakens the windlass. Buy a blue trainer to train with and keep the black ones for carry.

Also, tape the shit out of them after they are locked in the clip and they won't come lose. That's how we're trained as 68Ws.

Feedback Score
    I prefer the CAT because its free, never had an issue . . .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My old preference is the CAT for ease of use one handed primarily. I got to play with the new SOFTT-W a couple of months ago. When it comes time to get new TQ's, we will be adding a bunch to the kit, to supplant the CAT's. What I prefer on the SOFTT is being able to unhook the buckle to wrap it around a larger extremity, like a thigh. With the CAT you have to either slide it over or un run the nylon through the buckle, then rethread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I outfitted my entire team with SOFT-T's two years ago and they don't have any issues with them. I will say this though, the 2nd generation SOFT-T's that I saw, only had one single triangle to hook the windlass. Myself and a another Trooper friend of mine had some issues using it because the windlass never seemed to be close to the triangular "windlass catch". We tried multiple times and both had the same issue.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy the 2nd gen SOFT-T's if I had to do it again, but I would have to have some more hands on time with it. In that regard, at this time, my first choice would be the 1st gen SOFT-T, then the CAT, then the 2nd gen SOFT-T.(just my personal opinion)

The SWAT-T is nice, I was in on the initial evaluations on it. I do carry one because they are cheap and pretty easy to use but I do think the SOFT-T and CAT are a little better for the task. You can get the SWAT-T on one handed but it takes a little creativity. I am also not a big fan of the length. It's just too much getting in the way in a stressful situation, IMO. Again, I carry one in my SWAT gear and my personal car kits, but I look at them as secondary or backup TQ's as I'm also carrying multiple SOFT-T's.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast