Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Light & Accurate Patrol Rifle build in the works....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Finally got it all together....

Some parts:

In the sweat shop: (*Disclaimer:The pic below was somewhat staged. I used the proper receiver block shown in the background to torque the barrel nut on. I was setting it up to install the Troy TRX with the PRI block it is mounted on in the pic)

Noveske goodness:

And more Noveske goodness:

Done!:

How it will pretty much be configured. Still need a MagPul RSA and a IWC handstop for the Troy TRX Alpha:

I hope to make it out to the range tomorrow morning to check for function with a few hundred rounds. I have some ASYM 75gr Match ammo on the way to zero it with next week. I will report back with function & accuracy results....
    "The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." Jim Morrison

"Fortuitous outcomes reinforce poor training and tactics"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Finally got it all together....

Some parts:

In the sweat shop: (*Disclaimer:The pic below was somewhat staged. I used the proper receiver block shown in the background to torque the barrel nut on. I was setting it up to install the Troy TRX with the PRI block it is mounted on in the pic)

Noveske goodness:

And more Noveske goodness:

Done!:

How it will pretty much be configured. Still need a MagPul RSA and a IWC handstop for the Troy TRX Alpha:

I hope to make it out to the range tomorrow morning to check for function with a few hundred rounds. I have some ASYM 75gr Match ammo on the way to zero it with next week. I will report back with function & accuracy results....
    Is that the 13.8 or 13" i didnt know Troy made a TRX in 13"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu_sekai View Post
    Is that the 13.8 or 13" i didnt know Troy made a TRX in 13"
    I ordered what was listed as 13.8", but I just measured it and it is exactly 13.0".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I ran approx 200 silky smooth, trouble free rounds thru the new upper today. Here's a few 5rd groups....

Fed XM193 55gr @ 100yds using my Trijicon 1-4x TR24G:

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda....

Not too shabby for XM193. Cant wait to get the ASYM 75gr Match to see how that shoots.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 11-11-11 at 02:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just wanted to point out that when using a Troy style barrel nut wrench / adapter with a torque wrench you should rotate the torque wrench 90° relative to the Troy wrench, not straight in-line like you have pictured here. The way you have it will apply more torque then the wrench is set to or displays on the indicator.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well, I purchased a few different heavier grain loads to test out through my build. 75gr ASYM Match, 68gr Black Hills Match, Prvi 69gr Match. This barrel didnt care for any of them. Out of those 3 the 68gr BH shot the best @ about 2.25" @ 100yds with my 1-4x Accupoint.

Surprisingly, this thing loves 55gr AE FMJ

Best group with the AE 55gr FMJ was 0.737" @ 100yds.

I dont get it, but f*** it! Im gonna get some match grade 55gr loads to test but I dont think I am capable of shooting better than what it did today with this set-up.

Try to live in Chicago when Im not working
    Feedback Score

Chicago?

Hey man, just moved from the burbs to addison and kedzie nieghborhood...where you going to zero this bad boy, Bristol? Im trying to find a good place thats closer than Bristol but havent had much time to look yet...Im desperate to go shoot this weekend...can you give me some good news? Is there somewhere good close by us??

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The TRIM rail is pretty slick. If I was to run a tubular hand guard, I'd probably give the Daniel Defense MFR a try. The DD stuff. Use now is great and I'd machine the MFR fits right in.

I'd assume the URX III would work with the Stealth upper, but we all know where assumptions get us. I had a couple URX II's as well as a lightweight URX II. I really like the rail but I'm not buying any more unless I can get one without the integrated front sight. I've had to replace or fix both on the URX II's I ran regularly.

I'm interested to hear how the lightweight stainless barrel works out for you over time. The lightest profile I've gone on an AR is the SR15's, but other than those, I've stayed away from lightweight barrels. I'm very interested in a 14.5".

The one suggestion I have though is about the KAC micros. I run the KAC folding sights on on two rifles as well as the rear only on another and the front only on another. I've handled the micros a good bit though and there's a few things I just don't like about them. For the front, unless you're running it up a majority of the time, I don't think it's worth the trade off to have it unprotected when folded down. Maybe I'm paranoid but I've just broken too many sights to risk it personally.

For the rear micro, and again this may be a bit overcaustios, but I heard and then tried it and personally saw that it's possible when raising and lowering the sight that it can shift the windage. Now, I'll admit that this is much less of a concern than the front micro for me personally, but again, to me it's just not worth the risk when I can have the standard model that doesn't do that. Unlike the front sight, this tiny issue wouldn't prevent me from using one, I just won't buy one over the standard of both are available.

I hope no one takes this wrong and gets all defensive, just pointing something out, as small as it may be.

The accuracy looks really good. How is the barrel once it heats up a bit?

EDIT - I see you chose a different rear sight and the front is integrated. So, that was a lot of time to post for nothing... Maybe I need to start reading more before I reply! Looks good man and I hope for a long term update eventually.

Jon
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 12-14-11 at 08:49.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Well, I purchased a few different heavier grain loads to test out through my build. 75gr ASYM Match, 68gr Black Hills Match, Prvi 69gr Match. This barrel didnt care for any of them. Out of those 3 the 68gr BH shot the best @ about 2.25" @ 100yds with my 1-4x Accupoint.

Surprisingly, this thing loves 55gr AE FMJ

Best group with the AE 55gr FMJ was 0.737" @ 100yds.

I dont get it, but f*** it! Im gonna get some match grade 55gr loads to test but I dont think I am capable of shooting better than what it did today with this set-up.
    Thanks for the updates. I just finished my first build on a Noveske lower and Vltor MUR 1 w/ a Noveske 16 LW SS barrel too. I have yet to put rounds down range and was going to get some ammo and try to see what it likes best. You helped me narrow down some numbers, thanks and nice build.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog60 View Post
    Thanks for the updates. I just finished my first build on a Noveske lower and Vltor MUR 1 w/ a Noveske 16 LW SS barrel too. I have yet to put rounds down range and was going to get some ammo and try to see what it likes best. You helped me narrow down some numbers, thanks and nice build.
    I wouldnt be too sure that your barrel will prefer the same 55gr FMJ that mine seems to. Every barrel is slightly different.

The AE 55gr FMJ moves quite a bit faster than the heavier Match loads I have tried. For example, the 75gr ASYM Match moves @ 2555fps vs the AE 55gr FMJ @ 2820fps. I think the velocity is playing a big part in the results I am seeing @ 100yds. *YMMV

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast