Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 year old looking to buy first CA legal AR-15

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Google Calguns flowchart. You want to ensure your lower is not banned. Buy a bullet button from RifleGear, I use Raddlock. Evil features are okay with bullet button. Pick up 10 round magazines too.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by ChocLab; 07-13-13 at 13:24. Reason: Edit
    Realization/Goal for me, average civilian shooter: Spend at least 5 hours dry firing, drills, shooting, getting proper live instruction for every 1 hour spent surfing forums about equipment set up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocLab View Post
    If you plan to take any courses, I would go featureless, no bullet button.

That means fixed (sully or A1) or pinned stock, compensator instead of a flash hider, and some type of non standard grip like exile machine, monster man grip (mmg), or solar tactical grip wrap.

At the vickers AK class in chino, for those without registered assault weapons it was either grip wrap or mmg.

Buy a decent upper (Colt, BCM, or DD) but you will have to pair with a non-listed lower. I plan to run my Colt 6940 at the next carbine class attend.

If this sounds like a foreign language use the search button on Calguns for "featureless"

There is also a picture thread for featureless builds.

The laws suck for now but the future battleground for AW litigation will be places like CA or NJ...
    I actually favor the extendable stock feature, I wouldn't want to keep a fixed one. What does the bullet button have to do with it though? I thought the bullet button was mandatory in CA. Or are you referring to building my own (which I don't plan on.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drownindreams View Post
    Hey guys, well, title says it all. Not new to the gun world, I've been an avid hunter since I was 12. Shotguns and rifles were my thing and still are. Now, I'm interested in buying my very first assault rifle. After what video games, movies, and personal interest have stated, I landed on the AR-15, or the 'M4' (to my understanding, the AR-15 is the semi automatic version.)

So far, here is what I've come up with. About 70% of accessories that can be put on the AR, are illegal in CA. That leaves me with a few options. Can someone verify if the extendable stock is illegal here?

Looking for either a .223 or 5.56 NATO, the caliber doesn't matter, I'd prefer the cheaper one.

Basically, I'm asking all of you members here to school me on what I don't know. Thanks guys.
    I also live in California and bought a Sig 516. Not the Sig 556. I just replaced the retarded bullet button with a prince 50.
    Last edited by jtoth; 10-10-11 at 02:18.
    The Belief that ones view of reality is the only reality is the most dangerous of all delusions.

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Last edited by ChocLab; 07-13-13 at 13:24. Reason: Edit
    Realization/Goal for me, average civilian shooter: Spend at least 5 hours dry firing, drills, shooting, getting proper live instruction for every 1 hour spent surfing forums about equipment set up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWrangler View Post
    How did you do that with the automated Google search???
    Very slick! LOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Raddlock AR Series Magazine Lock its like 35 bucks

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drownindreams View Post
    Hey guys, well, title says it all. Not new to the gun world, I've been an avid hunter since I was 12. Shotguns and rifles were my thing and still are. Now, I'm interested in buying my very first assault rifle. After what video games, movies, and personal interest have stated, I landed on the AR-15, or the 'M4' (to my understanding, the AR-15 is the semi automatic version.)

So far, here is what I've come up with. About 70% of accessories that can be put on the AR, are illegal in CA. That leaves me with a few options. Can someone verify if the extendable stock is illegal here?

Looking for either a .223 or 5.56 NATO, the caliber doesn't matter, I'd prefer the cheaper one.

Basically, I'm asking all of you members here to school me on what I don't know. Thanks guys.
    That 70% figure is BS.

Just go on Calguns and read the stickied threads and guides. You'll be up to speed in no-time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12