Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss specialty ammo(.223/5.56)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Let's discuss specialty ammo(.223/5.56)

Hi guys, I've always wanted to explore some of the 5.56 specialty loads like tracers, starburst/spotter, etc., so to start off with I just ordered a little xm856 while ordering some normal type of ammo. I plan to shoot these federal tactical tracers LR on steel and capture their bullet trace. Does anyone know how long they stay lit for? My understanding is that they take about 100yds to light up.

Anyway, if you have some experience using XM856 or any similar specialty type ammo made for the .223/5.56 I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinion on it. Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Be careful where you are shooting tracers. They've been known to start fires when the conditions are dry.

Feedback Score
    This would be interesting to see...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    ...Does anyone know how long they stay lit for?
    Based on my experience, well over 500 meters.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Be careful where you are shooting tracers. They've been known to start fires when the conditions are dry.
    Indeed, esp. in the summertime in AL....check out where I'm shooting them at.

Bullet trace: MRP Recce w. Barnes 55gr. TSX @ 605yds

Frailer...thanks, I will prob. cap it off a 600yds, I want to get as much ricochet effect off the steel as possible while the rd. is still lit.

eta...

More things to discuss...

1.) what other types of specialty ammo is avail. besides the tracers and starburst rds..

2.) anybody else make good 5.56 tracer rds. besides Federal? Ive seen another brand at ammunitiontogo.com that were more expensive but supposedly lit up right away when leaving the barrel.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-27-11 at 18:21.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I was getting burnout at around 700 yards a couple of months ago with the Federal red box stuff. Tracer does weird stuff, shoot in a safe spot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump70 View Post
    I was getting burnout at around 700 yards a couple of months ago with the Federal red box stuff. Tracer does weird stuff, shoot in a safe spot.
    That sounds about right. I've launched 3 round bursts over open range and they appear to burn out about where you stated.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm thinking these rds. should be badass to bullet trace about 2hr. prior to dark at a range b/t 500-600yds...perfect mix of light for the actual bullet trace or air disturbance...and then plenty of "darkness" for the actual trace effect to show up.

I know the rds. are not popular at the local carbine classes and such but if you don't think tracer's are cool, than you might just be Michelle Bachman's husband
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-28-11 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    Tracers are a lot of fun, but you have to be more carefull than you think. Last September here in Utah there was a fire that started during training on the machine gun range at Camp Williams. By the time it was fully contained over 4,000 acres had burned and I think three houses were destroyed. At one point about 1600 homes near Camp Williams had to be evacuated. When things go wrong, they go very wrong!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ok gents, were all grown ups here...three safety warnings is perhaps enough

I'm not sure how much safer I can be than shooting them over a body of water in the particular setup I'm going to be shooting them in....I posted the video and pic to avoid the firestarter accusations.

Anyway, I might try and shoot em this evening.

Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-28-11 at 14:51.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast