Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A serious dilemma on what next?

Feedback Score

A serious dilemma on what next?

So I have two stripped lowers one mil spec and the other a light weight MAG TACTICAL.
    I've been wanting to build a Mil Specish gun and was looking at the BCM EAG upper with FSB because I want a carbine with an FSB.
    OR Build a light weight gun with BCM KMR LW upper
    OR build a replica of M16A4 with ACOG and KAC RAS that I used in the corps and buy a Colt AR15A4. I know this kind of a pointless question because it is up to me but I thought I would ask I'm in a pickle. What would you guys do?

As of now I only have one complete AR that is 14.5 bbl and all the goodies.

Feedback Score
    BCM is all out of the EAG uppers. . . .

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    If I were you, I would sit myself down and figure out what my priorities are in shooting/training self defense.
    Figure out what you do the most of and what purpose your next rifle will be used for and build that one.
    I decided to go with a BCM KMR with a 14.5 ELW barrel and this rifle quickly became my new go to training defense rifle. I have several ARs but I like to have only one or two purpose built rifles. The others become part of the collection.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm in a similar spot. Sitting on two stripped lowers, thinking about uppers. Personally, I do not care for a carbine length hand guard (I'm 6'4"), nor the shorter sight radius (I have a 6920). Mid lengths fit me better, and if using irons, I'm much quicker as far as acquiring the target and its easier to ring the steel at distances beyond 100 yds (I have a BCM middy with FSB). Since I have rifles with fixed front sight bases, I'm thinking something with a free floated rail, to mainly use with variable power optics. BCM with the ELW KMR is what I'm thinking. Therefore I can try two different types of setups; light weight barrel, and free float rail. The only thing I'm really concerned about is getting them finished before the 2016 election. Have fun! Its a great problem to have!
    Last edited by thebarracuda; 06-23-14 at 21:35. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    That's why I'm partially leaning towards the KMR build. Both builds excluding the "M16A4" build would be middys. I just needed some feed back and know I'll get some honest input here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can tell you that you can not go wrong with the EAG set up. It is one of the best deals around. The elw/kmr combos were not available when I picked up the eag. Im waiting for the hammer forged elw before I pick on3 up. All I know is the 14.5 mids that bcm sells run. You hear about the 14.5 mids being finicky, I hqve not encountered it. Mine will run pmc bronze with h3 and standard carbine spring, and it locks back on empty every time.

Like corycop25 said your going to have to evaluate what you want or need. If your choices are bcm or bcm you really can not loose.

Feedback Score
    is the Hammer forged a big enough deal for the barrel or not?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    From reports like the filthy 14 which had a standard barrel. Im sure it is not needed, but for the slight up charge to me it is worth it.

Last time I heard about the filthy 14 it had 40000+ rounds and was still shooting under 2 inches at 50 yards. I read that in one of the threads here. I have not heard any similar reports on the bfh barrels, but the slight upcharge is worth it for me.

The only bcm barrels I have are bfh so I can not comment on any difference between the standard or bfh.

If the elw barrels never become available in a bfh version I would just buy a standard one without hesitation. There are so many great companies building great rifles now is the time to buy what you want. My next upper will be a custom reece from MSTN.
    Last edited by jstone; 06-23-14 at 23:08.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mysak View Post
    is the Hammer forged a big enough deal for the barrel or not?
    I've only got about 4500 rounds through mine so at this point I can't say if it is really worth it but it has been very accurate and functioned flawlessly so far.

I can say for the small price increase that I'm comfortable buying the BFH uppers from BCM however if it wasn't availble in BFH I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their standard barreled uppers either simply based on the report of filthy 14. ^^^^

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    If I were you, I would sit myself down and figure out what my priorities are in shooting/training self defense.
    Figure out what you do the most of and what purpose your next rifle will be used for and build that one.
    This is good advice. Don't rush it. Take your time, research your options, shoot or at least handle a variety of ARs to get a feel for what you want/need.

Having said that, allow me to recommend the simple 16" midlength lightweight barrel AR with fixed FSB and 9" free float rail of your choice. It's not glamorous, but it is probably the best all-around tool for for anything most of us require.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast