Thread: For those who use grip tape on 1911s...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

For those who use grip tape on 1911s...

On the front strap. Do you relieve the backs of the grips and run the tape under them? Do you cut it so it will be flush against the grips? I have G10 grips ordered and was thinking of making a jig with a dremel and a sandpaper wheel to just grind off a strip about 1/8" X 1/32" on the backs of the grips where the grip tape would go. Does anyone just put the grips on over the tape?

Feedback Score
    Just put the grips on over the edges of the tape.

"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Concur re just putting the tape under the grip edges. I used a razor blade to trim the excess around the front of the mag well. As I do not have a skateboard shop close to me, I used 3m stair tape from the local hardware store. A 8.00 roll will last you years.

YMMV,

david of vcdgrips.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Obviously, you're not looking for massive amounts of grip, as the tape won't give you that. So use the thinnest tape available. Skateboard deck tape is the thinnest I've found. the thicker tape leaves unsightly gaps under the grips. The worst thing is that I've actually cracked a set of wood grips because the tape was too thick. the grain of wood grips is normally vertical, so there's an easy direction for them to break in. G10 grips may not present any issues.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Well I know Vz makes/sells pre cut grip tape for front straps 3 for 7 buck I think? They look pretty nice dont know much about them I just have the straps stippled.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    I run the grip tape under the grips all the way up to the reliefs in the frame

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use skate tape and cover the frontstrap back to the cutouts in the frame. I run the handle of an exacto knife over the areas where the tape extends over the frame cutouts to knock off the grit and then cut with the exacto along the lines I just made. Much easier than trying to cut through the grit and it gives cleaner lines. Do the same around the front edge of the magwell and you'll be GTG.

Make sure you degrease the frontstrap with some acetone first, it makes a big difference in the adhesiveness of the skate tape.

I like to replace the skate tape about every 2000 rounds. This works out well as this is my usual interval for a full detail strip and cleaning. I've been using the same sheet of skate tape I purchased in 2009 and still have over 50% of it left. Not bad for $5.
    "Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget that you come from a long line of truth-seekers, lovers and warriors." - Hunter S. Thompson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got the VZ rubber tape on a Springfield and it works very well. Wiped the front strap off with a little denatured alcohol and stuck the tape on about a thousand rounds ago. Still looks like new.

http://vzgrips.com/hardware/front-strap-tape

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just made a jig with a dremel and took off the width and thickness of the tape where it was going to go under the grips, so the grips lay flat on the frame. I'm happy with it.