Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question looking for a stupid answer... (RIA)

Feedback Score

Stupid question looking for a stupid answer... (RIA)

So forgive me if I have offended the 1911 gods, but my first pistol was an RIA 1911 tac. I know, I know, phillipino piece of junk. It was quickly replaced by Glocks as I began to do more serious shooting.

Now I am getting a hankering to return to the 1911, and I am wondering if it is possible to do so with the gun I currently have. For the record, it has just north of 1k rounds through it (I'd estimate 1300 or so) totally trouble free.

However, the finish is crap (very poorly done Nickel), and I question the longevity of some of the internal parts. I haven't been able to do a full detail strip of the gun as the ambi safety (a part I would be totally happy to do away with), but I am doubtful that most of the internal bits are up to par. They've done fine with 1k rounds but I'd like to work this gun up to be able to take a little more than that.

So, first things first - who should I be looking at for a refinish, and what kind of job should I look at to replace the nickel, and what should I expect to pay for it? I don't want to break the bank on something like Robar - I'd rather spend that money on smithing than on the finish - but something decent like hard chrome from a respectable outfit would be nice.

Secondly, I would like to get it done up by a decent gunsmith at some point. I have read that many gunsmiths will not work on the foreign pistols (which strikes me as odd given that most SAs are still built on brazilian frames...). What is the rationale behind this? are there any who would take my gun that are worth spending coin on? I probably won't want to go all out - just have it cut for decent sights, probably replace the internal parts that need it, etc...

Let me know if any or all of this project is foolish. I am really only looking into this for the pistols' sentimental value - if I wanted a truly nice high end 1911 I'd look at a WC or something similar, but I want to be able to do this in pieces, starting with the finish, so that in a couple years I have a decent 1911 that I would be comfortable carrying and that would be the basis for a second 1911 purchase further down the line.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm not sure what others think about the RIA, but I'll share my limited experience with them. I've shot 4 RIA 1911's, 1-GI, 2-"Tactical" models, and 1-commander length. All four were extremely reliable and reliably fed a variety of hollow point defensive ammunition. They were all also plenty accurate enough. I didn't see anything wrong with examples I've handled.

One of the guys at the local IDPA matches used a RIA GI model in competition and does very well. I know he's had night sights installed and he changed out the grip panels. Otherwise the gun is 100% stock and he does great with it.

If you feel that you need to upgrade yours then go ahead. That's a personal choice. I can understand the finish, but if nothing has broken yet, then don't worry about it. Make internal upgrades when things break.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Personally, I'm not one to put lipstick on a pig. The ria is a budget 1911... with that in mind, it can easily serve its intended purpose. If you're not planning on using it as a defensive weapon, why bother with upgrades? If you are, I'd highly recommend investing in something with a better known track record. Can cheap guns run well? Sure can... but I'm not willing to stake my life on them unless they're made right and have proven themselves.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lethal dose View Post
    Personally, I'm not one to put lipstick on a pig. The ria is a budget 1911... with that in mind, it can easily serve its intended purpose. If you're not planning on using it as a defensive weapon, why bother with upgrades? If you are, I'd highly recommend investing in something with a better known track record. Can cheap guns run well? Sure can... but I'm not willing to stake my life on them unless they're made right and have proven themselves.

Well the finish I absolutely want to get fixed up as it is a pain to have to worry about rust etc... I also wouldn't mind putting a new pair of sights on it.

That said I don't see why the RIA would be any better or worse than, say , a Springer GI model given what the average "upgrade" package costs and includes. Provided that the frame and slide are OK (which I think they are) I don't see why not.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I own a RIA “Tactical” 45 and I use it as my IDPA backup should my primary gun break during a match. The gun is well made, shoots well, handles anything I feed it and generally does exactly what I need it to do. On top of that they are an amazing value for what they cost.

That said they are what they are. They are well made yet somewhat crudely finished guns. If you want something with better fit and finish you would be better off selling yours and buying one that meets your criteria.

However, if you just want something to shoot, you’re going to have to spend a good deal more money to get a noticeable increase in accuracy and reliability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by S391 View Post
    I own a RIA “Tactical” 45 and I use it as my IDPA backup should my primary gun break during a match. The gun is well made, shoots well, handles anything I feed it and generally does exactly what I need it to do. On top of that they are an amazing value for what they cost.

That said they are what they are. They are well made yet somewhat crudely finished guns. If you want something with better fit and finish you would be better off selling yours and buying one that meets your criteria.

However, if you just want something to shoot, you’re going to have to spend a good deal more money to get a noticeable increase in accuracy and reliability.
    Fair enough. I do really want to do something about the finish, parts (beyond maybe new sights) are a secondary and more long term concern.

Feedback Score
    First I would like to state that have zero experience with RIA so I can not comment either way on that, but as for smiths not working on foreign pistols, I believe that stems more from the pistols(not refering to any one brand here) are more often than not with in spec for a build up, but there are exceptions to that rule. But things like the pin holes are a prime example, if they are not where they need to be it can make fitting parts difficult at best. As with all things 1911, starting off with a good foundation will pay dividends in the future.

As for the finish: Have you checked with any local smiths to see what their capabilities are? The only recomendation I would have is get the sights cut prior to refinish so you dont run the chance of having to do it twice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    First I would like to state that have zero experience with RIA so I can not comment either way on that, but as for smiths not working on foreign pistols, I believe that stems more from the pistols(not refering to any one brand here) are more often than not with in spec for a build up, but there are exceptions to that rule. But things like the pin holes are a prime example, if they are not where they need to be it can make fitting parts difficult at best. As with all things 1911, starting off with a good foundation will pay dividends in the future.

As for the finish: Have you checked with any local smiths to see what their capabilities are? The only recomendation I would have is get the sights cut prior to refinish so you dont run the chance of having to do it twice.
    I have heard very good things about JoJo's in Southington, CT, which is not too far from me.

I think you are right on the money about sight cuts. I *do* know that the RIA Tac has Novak-style sights and slide cuts but not necessarily Novaks. I will likely have to have them recut and real novaks installed. I will have them done simultaneously in order to save on refinishing.

As for the rest of the frame/slide specs I am not sure, I am not intimately familiar with the 1911 so I would also probably have the smith in question take a look at it for me and let me know what they think.

One thing I *do* know is that STI builds their guns off of Armscor frames, which is the frame that my 1911 is built off as well.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-10-11 at 16:22.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Fair enough. I do really want to do something about the finish, parts (beyond maybe new sights) are a secondary and more long term concern.
    If I ever decide to change the finish on any of my guns I would send them off to Robar for an NP3 finish. You get improved looks (IMHO) as well as the benefits of corrosion resistance plus the lubricity that comes from the Teflon in the finish.

Add some Novak sights and you would be good to go.

Feedback Score
    Good call on having someone spec the gun out for you. If the frames are Armscor than there is a high likely hood that you would be good to go. I for one don't really care what the "banner" on the side of the gun says, if the frame and slide are in spec and are good forgeings than that is all I really care about, take Norincos for example.

But I am a sample of one, and I am sure others may offer better incite. My experience with build ups has been limited to springfields since that is what was provided in the class that I took recently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast