Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question looking for a stupid answer... (RIA)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

RIA

I've owned an RIA for the past year or so putting just over 2000 rds through it and aside from some magazine issues (since resolved) I couldn't have asked for a better "basic package" 1911. If you can get past the brand myopia and the arrogant smirks some 1911 elitists have; with an RIA you are looking at a basic, functional firearm that is and has been great for my needs. I'm not saying there aren't better 1911's out there, but I'm also not saying there aren't worse. If the RIA isn't what you want, you should get rid of it and get the firearm you desire.

Semper Fi,
    ~Str8
    I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8Jacket722 View Post
    I've owned an RIA for the past year or so putting just over 2000 rds through it and aside from some magazine issues (since resolved) I couldn't have asked for a better "basic package" 1911. If you can get past the brand myopia and the arrogant smirks some 1911 elitists have; with an RIA you are looking at a basic, functional firearm that is and has been great for my needs. I'm not saying there aren't better 1911's out there, but I'm also not saying there aren't worse. If the RIA isn't what you want, you should get rid of it and get the firearm you desire.

Semper Fi,
    ~Str8
    I'm perfectly happy with its functionality - I just want to invest in a better finish and sights that will make me even more happy in, say, 20 years.

Feedback Score
    My first and only 1911 is an RIA. Started as a plain jane gov model and worked just fine. Bought some parts off of a friend who was going full custom on his stainless kimber. Everything in the frame is now from a kimber, but I still have all the original parts as well. Had novak sights installed and the whole thing duracoated (about to be redone in ceracoat because the duracoat was not done well).

The only time the gun has given me any problems was the first time I tried HPs. That turned out ot be a mag issue. Switched to 47D's and the gun has been flawless since.

Right out of the box I shot it way better than my G27 or USPcompact.
    Last edited by ssracer; 10-10-11 at 19:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssracer View Post
    My first and only 1911 is an RIA. Started as a plain jane gov model and worked just fine. Bought some parts off of a friend who was going full custom on his stainless kimber. Everything in the frame is now from a kimber, but I still have all the original parts as well. Had novak sights installed and the whole thing duracoated (about to be redone in ceracoat because the duracoat was not done well).

The only time the gun has given me any problems was the first time I tried HPs. That turned out ot be a mag issue. Switched to 47D's and the gun has been flawless since.

Right out of the box I shot it way better than my G27 or USPcompact.
    Did you do the internal parts fitting yourself? I was looking at Novak for a refinish and sights install, I would probably be comfortable installing some of the easier parts myself (I know, easy to install 1911 parts, oxymoron...)

Feedback Score
    The only parts that needed any fitting were of course the beaver tail (had to radius the back of the frame) and the mag release was a little tight at first. I did do those myself. Everything else dropped in.

Had a smith do the slide milling for the sights and the duracoat.
    Last edited by ssracer; 10-10-11 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssracer View Post
    The only parts that needed any fitting were of course the beaver tail (had to radius the back of the frame) and the mag release was a little tight at first. I did do those myself. Everything else dropped in.

Had a smith do the slide milling for the sights and the duracoat.
    have any pictures?

Feedback Score
    I totally agree with the lipstick on a pig idea- dumping cash into a 400 dollar 1911 to tune it up and make it look nice makes no sense at all- mag wheels on a yugo if you will. Run it the way it is replace stuff if it breaks and save the money for another 1911.
    While I am not a big fan of foreign made 1911's, the RIA's and various other foreign made guns (anything from the phillipines plus SA's guns- which are made whole or in part in Brazil) have a pretty good reputation for working.
    Getting an American made 1911 (either a semi custom, S&W or my Favorite colt) would be preferable to sinking cash into the RIA.
    considering the cost and variable reports of quality I've heard, I think I'd rather Have an RIA than a kmber at this point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    have any pictures?
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76425

Feedback Score
    Would swapping out your sites and refinishing your RIA increase the resale value of the gun? If you decide that you would rather sell this one in say 6 months to a year, would your see a return on your investment (higher resale value) or would the money have been wasted? (lipstick on a pig)

Feedback Score
    Very nice! I would be happy to end up with something similar. Refinish and sights would be all I want at this point I think, anyway.

As to the above, I do not really intend to sell this pistol. I am only getting it done up a bit because it has sentimental value, if I wanted resale value I'd spend the cash on a glock or a 1911 5x the price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast