Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid question looking for a stupid answer... (RIA)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    As to the above, I do not really intend to sell this pistol. I am only getting it done up a bit because it has sentimental value, if I wanted resale value I'd spend the cash on a glock or a 1911 5x the price.
    I'm sorry, I missed the notion that this gun had sentimental value to you. Would love to see how your project turns out.

However, as I am new to gun ownership, I really would appreciate a broad brush stroke answer to my query. Would refinishing a gun and upgrading the sites add to the value of said gun?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    If the frames are Armscor than there is a high likely hood that you would be good to go. I for one don't really care what the "banner" on the side of the gun says, if the frame and slide are in spec and are good forgeings than that is all I really care about, take Norincos for example.
    RIA/Armscor frames are cast, not forged.

Show me one good smith who says they won't work on "foreign" frames. I think what you see if guys saying they won't work on Filipino frames, as they don't have the consistency in hardness and dimensions for them to put their time into, only to find out the metal is jacked up when they start cutting into it.

I had a RIA GI...thing ran like a champ. Shot better than I did, ate everything I fed it... couldn't ask for more from a budget gun.

Now, knowing what I know now about 1911's, would I buy one again? No.

Whether it runs (now) or not, isn't all there is to it. The fit of the parts together can really determine how long they last, or how rapidly they beat themselves apart. Sure, the RIA's generally run out of the box... but what do their barrel lugs look like after 5k and 10k rounds? How well is the plunger tube secured?

If you want a gun to shoot occasionally, I can't fault anyone for picking up (or fixing up, even) a RIA. I wouldn't have the confidence that it would last though, like something built on a Springfield/ Colt/ Caspian frame would.

Fixing up a RIA isn't the worst money someone can spend on 1911's... but for only a few bucks more you can be into a Springfield which you know is well worth building on. That's all.

Feedback Score
    Was unaware that Armscor was a casting, like I stated before, I have no experience with them but I have known some folks who have built on Armscor frames with very little issues. All of my builds have have been either springers, caspian or kimber based.

learn something new everyday

But I still don't think it would be a bad choice for a build if the OP's intentions are to learn more about the system, likes-dislikes etc. and then look at getting into something "higher end" later on if he chooses too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    FYI - Armscor builds the frames, slides and barrels for the STI Spartan.....

Is it worth putting money into something is a very subjective question. I would have to say that who does the work is every bit as important as what you have done.

If your local parts-swapper adds $500 worth of parts but it looks like Ray Charles did the assembly then no, it will not add any value to the gun. However, if you have a true craftsman do the work then yes, it very well could add to the value of the gun.

I don't think you would be going out on a limb if you had better sights installed and the gun refinished. If you like the gun, if it shoots well and you don't plan on selling it you have nothing to lose.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So forgive me if I have offended the 1911 gods, but my first pistol was an RIA 1911 tac. I know, I know, phillipino piece of junk. It was quickly replaced by Glocks as I began to do more serious shooting.

Now I am getting a hankering to return to the 1911, and I am wondering if it is possible to do so with the gun I currently have. For the record, it has just north of 1k rounds through it (I'd estimate 1300 or so) totally trouble free.

However, the finish is crap (very poorly done Nickel), and I question the longevity of some of the internal parts. I haven't been able to do a full detail strip of the gun as the ambi safety (a part I would be totally happy to do away with), but I am doubtful that most of the internal bits are up to par. They've done fine with 1k rounds but I'd like to work this gun up to be able to take a little more than that.

So, first things first - who should I be looking at for a refinish, and what kind of job should I look at to replace the nickel, and what should I expect to pay for it? I don't want to break the bank on something like Robar - I'd rather spend that money on smithing than on the finish - but something decent like hard chrome from a respectable outfit would be nice.

Secondly, I would like to get it done up by a decent gunsmith at some point. I have read that many gunsmiths will not work on the foreign pistols (which strikes me as odd given that most SAs are still built on brazilian frames...). What is the rationale behind this? are there any who would take my gun that are worth spending coin on? I probably won't want to go all out - just have it cut for decent sights, probably replace the internal parts that need it, etc...

Let me know if any or all of this project is foolish. I am really only looking into this for the pistols' sentimental value - if I wanted a truly nice high end 1911 I'd look at a WC or something similar, but I want to be able to do this in pieces, starting with the finish, so that in a couple years I have a decent 1911 that I would be comfortable carrying and that would be the basis for a second 1911 purchase further down the line.
    Ok. Hope this is not a real stupid answer.

Looks to me like you answered your own question. You said it all when you said sentimental value in the last paragraph. You can't buy that gun again and no weapon is going to replace it, in your mind. So do what you want.

I would not spend the money on that 1911( I have on other projects that no one else would give a shit about, but really ment somthing to me , and will continue to do so) however, if it's working for you, why not. Your talking about sights, finish... not a full house custom job so yea, improve the weapon. And think about you next 1911.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm perfectly happy with its functionality - I just want to invest in a better finish and sights that will make me even more happy in, say, 20 years.
    Cerakote my friend, that'll last ya for years. As for sights, I have to agree, I'm not the best advisor when it comes to sights though, PM Guns-Up .50, he can at least set you up on the right course. He's given me some great ideas.
    I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The question you have to answer for yourself is are you going to keep the RIA for the next 20 years. Having owned 3 different RIA's and being very happy with them, remember the $100 plus for sights and the $100 to $200 for the finish will never be recouped on the $400 RIA. So if you have a keeper, then spend the money and do what you want or sell the RIA for $400 and add $300 for a Ruger or something else. Good luck with your decision. David

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    The question you have to answer for yourself is are you going to keep the RIA for the next 20 years. Having owned 3 different RIA's and being very happy with them, remember the $100 plus for sights and the $100 to $200 for the finish will never be recouped on the $400 RIA. So if you have a keeper, then spend the money and do what you want or sell the RIA for $400 and add $300 for a Ruger or something else. Good luck with your decision. David
    This is definitely a "keeper" pistol. Was my first handgun - I will not sell it anyway. I won't ever turn it into a Wilson Combat or anything but it shoots just fine and I'd like to pass it off to my younger brother sometime soon - he just turned 21.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123