Thread: Regular vs cantilever mount for a fullsize aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)

Regular vs cantilever mount for a fullsize aimpoint.

I am going to purchase and Aimpoint PRO for a recent build but I don't know whether to choose the regular mount or the cantilever mount. My other Aimpoint is a micro in an ADM SOCOM mount and I am going with the pro to save a little bit of money, yes I know getting another mount negates much of the value of the PRO, but a PRO can be had regularly now for about $350 and an ADM mount is about $110 which is still cheaper than the cheapest Aimpoint micro+ mount option I can find which is the H-1 with Larue mount for $626.

Which style of mount do you prefer? I currently have my micro mounted as far forward as possible but when I have experimented with it being closer to my eye I like it. Using a regular mount will have the optic closer to your eye while shooting, does anyone here prefer that vs the cantilever?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I prefer the standard AD-68 over the cantilever. I couldn't tell you why though. ADM over Larue due to the mounting mechanism.

Helpful, I know...

The standard QRP was always coming loose on me. I would push down while turning the knob and it would still come loose.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 12-03-14 at 08:03.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Run the QRP that comes with the PRO for now. The difference is pretty minor - I suppose if the weight was the same the cantilever would theoretically move an ounce of mass 3/4" farther back, but that's beyond splitting hairs for balance. Just run what's already there.

I'd at least check G&R Tac for an H-1/ADM or H-1/DD setup, depending on whether you need the ability to quick detach the micro aimpoint. Also, used is worth a look - despite being small, the micro aimpoints are tough as hell, and now that there's a T2 there might be some lightly used ones shaking out on the EE, most of which will include mounts.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I have noticed that you can crank the QRP down tighter if you press the big ugly knob in while tightening it. Hopefully it won't loosen as quickly like this. The good thing about the QRP, beyond the price of already paid for, is that you can hand crank it in the field. The bad thing about the QRP is you have to hand crank it in the field. If I find a LT-150 or AD68 for cheapish, I will get it to replace the QRP. Until then, QRP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    G&R has the package for about $20 more. I dont necessarily need the QD I just want the option.