Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon SRS

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Maybe someone with access to one of these sights can answer some of the questions people are having. Here's what's been brought up so far:

Do irons cowitness and if so are they usable through the SRS?

Does the SRS have more parallax than a Aimpoint-type RDS, ie does the POI shift significantly with the dot at the extremes of the FOV?

Does the solar panel have a way of storing energy so the sight still illuminates in darkness or does there have to be a constant light source to power the dot in the absence of battery power?

Is there any kind of auto-shutoff like in an Eotech or does it stay on until it's out of power like an Aimpoint?

How fast does the auto-brightness feature adjust itself when the ambient light drastically changes? Is it sensitive to light in front of the unit in an otherwise dark room, like when using a weaponlight?

Is it true 1X or 1.1X or something?

Feedback Score
    I think it's kind of a cop out for some of you guys to say, "It doesn't do anything that the Aimpoint does't already do, so I'm not gonna bother."

We all know the Aimpoint is great, but I'm happy to see Trijicon throwing their hat into the powered red dot arena. I've always been a fan of their products. And the more options there are out there, then the better for all of us. I would say the same thing if Aimpoint decided to go head to head for something like an ACOG.

However, I am concerned about the longevity of the solar panel technology. Solar panels do have a gradual drop in power output over time (but I'm talking in the 20-25 year time frame).

I would have been very interested in some kind of fiber optic/battery combination. A battery powers a small LED that lights up a fiber optic, pretty much just like some people do with chemlights and duct tape on their ACOG. I suppose the trick is hiding the fiber optic glow when it's running on battery power (a la TX30).

I'll look forward to playing with this one if I can see it in person (not likely for a long time).
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I think it's kind of a cop out for some of you guys to say, "It doesn't do anything that the Aimpoint does't already do, so I'm not gonna bother."
    why is that a cop out?

If someone has thousands of rounds on a given system they are going to want to know what theoretical benefit the new system offers before (over?) spending on it.

It also tends to be a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction to some of the fawning, glowing praise for something that isn't even out yet. How is that also not a cop out? Why is a positive take on a fantasy product different than a negative one?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    On another note, wonder how the photo voltaic cells on top of the SRS would hold up during the DD Torture test that the Aimpoint T1 went thru?
    Bottom line (in my opinion) is that the market battle for RDS sights was won by Aimpoint, period. They focused entirely on the red dot sight concept and didn't stray into other arenas such as multi zoom optics, etc. As a result, they have a product that is at the top in it's category, period. The SRS (in my opinion) does not introduce any new breakthru technology or as a product, does not fill a market need that exists. In regards to photo voltaic cells, Zeiss has used them for years on their dot/reflex sight.

YMMV

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I like what you said about mediocre technology over the promise of something better.
    It's one of my favorite quotes, stolen shamelessly from the same person that provided my sig, Mike Shertz. He's a former 18D, chief medical officer for Washington County SWAT in Oregon, and one of the most impressive individuals I've ever met in my life. I seem to recall you having met and/or trained with some of the Insights folks so maybe you already know him as he's an instructor for a few of their classes.
    "Eyes have been referred to as the window to the soul, we prefer to think of them as the funnel to the brain." - Mike Shertz, MD
    "Every trigger has a match trigger at the end of all the bullshit.” - Greg Hamilton

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Never needs a battery UNLESS one is inside a dark area.
    True. Most people never shoot in the dark though. 99% of the optics use is during daylight hours.

C4

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd like to know if the solar panel will power the red dot under shade, or if it needs direct sunlight.

The Trijicon Web site says the SRS is waterproof to 50 meters.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    Perhaps cop-out was the wrong phrase.

The point I was trying to make is that to immediately write the new product off as "not an Aimpoint" seems irrational. It happens over and over again, especially in the gun world- how many times have you seen "Not a 1911" pop up when a new pistol comes out? Aimpoint is a fantastic product, no doubting that, but who says a little competition is a bad thing?

If you're already heavily invested into the Aimpoint flavor with thousands of rounds and dollars spent on the product, then sure, this probably isn't enough to make you switch. But what about someone who is building their first gun and wants to look into optics? They're not invested in anything and aren't battling the "is it better than what I have" question.

To me, much of this discussion is exactly what you've talked about before, Rob, where people vehemently defend their own past decisions without really weighing what might better serve them, or someone else, because that would indicate that maybe they were wrong. Given, running an Aimpoint is not the same as running a "just as good as" gun, but the principal is similar.

All that said, I'll hold judgement until it actually gets into people's hands.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Perhaps cop-out was the wrong phrase.

The point I was trying to make is that to immediately write the new product off as "not an Aimpoint" seems irrational. It happens over and over again, especially in the gun world- how many times have you seen "Not a 1911" pop up when a new pistol comes out? Aimpoint is a fantastic product, no doubting that, but who says a little competition is a bad thing?

If you're already heavily invested into the Aimpoint flavor with thousands of rounds and dollars spent on the product, then sure, this probably isn't enough to make you switch. But what about someone who is building their first gun and wants to look into optics? They're not invested in anything and aren't battling the "is it better than what I have" question.

To me, much of this discussion is exactly what you've talked about before, Rob, where people vehemently defend their own past decisions without really weighing what might better serve them, or someone else, because that would indicate that maybe they were wrong. Given, running an Aimpoint is not the same as running a "just as good as" gun, but the principal is similar.

All that said, I'll hold judgement until it actually gets into people's hands.
    and my point is that, conversely, how often do you see guys jizzing themselves over something they've only ever seen a picture of, and how is that any different? Christ, when the Masada was the hot shit topic on the forums guys were practically falling all over each other to sing it's praises without ever even having touched one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Christ, when the Masada was the hot shit topic on the forums guys were practically falling all over each other to sing it's praises without ever even having touched one.
    That's retarded. I remember that actually, on the ARFCom boards.

If you thought it was bad here, dude?

Let's rewind to 2007...

''Dude, if only they could contract a real manufacturer to make it. Like Bushmaster, or Olympic Arms.''

That guy got his wish...
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast