Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon SRS

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    You are correct about "field of view" being the wrong phraseology here. While FOV is not a factor with these optics because both eyes are kept open, a large diameter tube will be more forgiving "eye box" wise...especially when shooting from unconventional positions. If your eye is not perfectly centered behind the optic you will still be able to pick up the red dot.

With training and practice this becomes a bit of a non issue. Most shooters have no problems with Aimpoint Micros.
    This. I have been in weird positions and could not pick up the dot on the Micro. While this is not a common issue and NOT something to get worried about, I have run into it.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thmpr View Post
    A battery left in the battery compartment for that long (3 years), will corrosion be an issue?
    No (as long as it is sealed).

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Having been in situations in Afghanistan where re-supply is non-existent I can appreciate the solar-powered feature.
    Last edited by deadlyfire; 01-04-12 at 10:45.
    Combat veteran
    Lifetime NRA member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlyfire View Post
    Having been in situations in Afghanistan where re-supply is non-existent I can appreciate the solar-powered feature.
    Not trying to be smartass, but is it important with sight that has 5 or 8 years constant on life? Make it 2 years for real (lot of use on high settings). If you do not get resupply for 2 years, then lack of batteries is probably last concern.

And if electronics go tits up, then solar power is no help either.

I know that nothing survives against reality of battlefield, that is why I'm asking. Is it really advantage over battery life in Aimpoint M4/M4S (I think SRS is set to compete with those) or just nice marketing movement - "We have solar power!!!"? I know that even HSLD types are not immune to good marketing.

BTW I tested my M4S and it worked with everything I was able to put inside (and add stack of old screws to fill up the void). Also on batteries that shows dead in TV remote or cordless mouse. Yes, when it rains, children are bored.
    Last edited by montrala; 01-04-12 at 11:46.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I'm not familiar with the difference in technologies. what makes this "the best of aimpoint and eotech"?..
    +1.

The SRS's reliabilty has yet to be proven as well. I do not see any innovation with the SRS, just the coupling of existing technologies in an attempt to be better able to compete with Aimpoint.

Product acceptance over time will tell.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    +1.

The SRS's reliabilty has yet to be proven as well. I do not see any innovation with the SRS, just the coupling of existing technologies in an attempt to be better able to compete with Aimpoint.

Product acceptance over time will tell.
    according to trijicon the SRS is being put through the same durability testing as their ACOG's which are incredibly durable.

its so funny when optic debates come up, the aimpoint fans dont want to admit that anything can be as durable as their beloved aimpoint, yet trijicons are known for durability.

and it may not be new tech, but it is for optics. while solar cells and such have already been around this is the first time its been put into a combat optic.

it has the same battery life as the aimpoint PRO(3yrs) using one AA battery and if you are in the sun you can easily go 10+yrs on one AA battery, lets not forget the great 1.75MOA dot and the large 38mm window that eliminates that tube effect some have since its such a compact optic as far as length goes

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    according to trijicon the SRS is being put through the same durability testing as their ACOG's which are incredibly durable.

its so funny when optic debates come up, the aimpoint fans dont want to admit that anything can be as durable as their beloved aimpoint, yet trijicons are known for durability.

and it may not be new tech, but it is for optics. while solar cells and such have already been around this is the first time its been put into a combat optic.

it has the same battery life as the aimpoint PRO(3yrs) using one AA battery and if you are in the sun you can easily go 10+yrs on one AA battery, lets not forget the great 1.75MOA dot and the large 38mm window that eliminates that tube effect some have since its such a compact optic as far as length goes
    Durability testing does not equate to years in the field and the multitude of environments and conditions that the product is exposed to. When the ACOG's first came out many years ago, they too had issues which needed to be resolved over time.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    Not trying to be smartass, but is it important with sight that has 5 or 8 years constant on life? Make it 2 years for real (lot of use on high settings). If you do not get resupply for 2 years, then lack of batteries is probably last concern.

And if electronics go tits up, then solar power is no help either.

I know that nothing survives against reality of battlefield, that is why I'm asking. Is it really advantage over battery life in Aimpoint M4/M4S (I think SRS is set to compete with those) or just nice marketing movement - "We have solar power!!!"? I know that even HSLD types are not immune to good marketing.

BTW I tested my M4S and it worked with everything I was able to put inside (and add stack of old screws to fill up the void). Also on batteries that shows dead in TV remote or cordless mouse. Yes, when it rains, children are bored.
    PM incoming to avoid side railing the topic
    Combat veteran
    Lifetime NRA member

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    ...and it may not be new tech, but it is for optics. while solar cells and such have already been around this is the first time its been put into a combat optic...
    Just to nitpick, I saw a solar/battery-powered Zeiss red dot on an Bundeswehr HK MP7 about 5 years ago in Kosovo. This might be the first optic in the US market to have solar cells, but it's not the first time it's been put into a combat optic.
    Jake Sebens
    Ares Gear, LLC

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jsebens View Post
    Just to nitpick, I saw a solar/battery-powered Zeiss red dot on an Bundeswehr HK MP7 about 5 years ago in Kosovo. This might be the first optic in the US market to have solar cells, but it's not the first time it's been put into a combat optic.
    If you're referring to the Zeiss Z-Point, I'm not certain why it would qualify as a combat optic.
    Tomac
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast