Thread: Gel cavity dyeing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Gel cavity dyeing

Does anyone know if simply mixing some food coloring with water and pouring it in one end of a ballistics gel block that's been shot with a rifle round will result in the permanent and temporary stretch cavities being easily visually inspected?

I am thinking about performing a terminal ballistics comparison between three different types of commercially-loaded .223 ammunition by firing one of each of the three different rounds into three separate gelatin blocks (constructed by following a do-it-yourself recipe for ballistics gelatin using readily-available Knox gelatin) positioned approximately 100yds from the muzzle. The three rounds I'm going to compare are Federal Vital-shok 55gr Barnes TSX, Federal Fusion 62gr JSP Bonded, and ASYM 70gr Barnes TSX. The intended purpose for this test is to assess which round produces the best terminal wounding effects for the application of deer hunting. I am not planning on shooting BB's into the blocks for calibration (since I'm only assessing relative performance amongst these three rounds), but will do what I can to make sure they're as uniform and as similar as possible to each other for the experiment (making them at the same time, letting them cure for the same amount of time, making sure they're the same temperature, and making sure that the shots are taken quickly so as to minimize the effect that exposing them to ambient air temperature will have on their elasticity).

Even though this was conceived solely for the purpose of giving me a comparison between these three ammunition types in choosing which one to hunt deer with, I will try to take good pictures documenting the results if anyone else would be interested.
    Last edited by twadsw01; 10-10-11 at 15:44. Reason: typos corrected.