Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting started reloading for M4/AR15 - advice requested

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf59 View Post
    Opening post has been edited. Not really interested in what press to use, but I can see how you might get that out of my question. I am interested in how to do the load development to achieve my goal of using multiple brands of cases, safely.
    It's not critical with .223 loads. There isn't a load I've run in 15 years that required me to sort brass off.

.308 is where you'll get massive case volume differences. I mean... I've been able to look inside of different 308 brass and sort them with the head stamps down just by how full the powder was inside of them.

.223 case volume variances are negligible with almost all kinds of brass. PMP being the exception if I remember correctly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    markm, thanks for your response. Would you consider commercial brass and LC brass to be different enough to be of concern? Also, would you go minimum charge or middle or something else?

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf59 View Post
    markm, thanks for your response. Would you consider commercial brass and LC brass to be different enough to be of concern? Also, would you go minimum charge or middle or something else?

Thanks again.
    Just wondering, how much reloading have you already done?
    You state that you're running low on TAC, so that tells me you have already loaded some, but the questions you're asking shows how little reading/research you've done.

Your question has been answered many times over. markm answered your question (again) and yet you ask the same question (again).

Honestly, I'm a little concerned for your safety and others around you.
    Might be better off buying Wolf ammo...
    Last edited by Baedarlboo; 10-13-11 at 07:20. Reason: comprehension!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Commercial brass and LC/Mil brass are completely interchangeable. Mil brass has a slightly larger capacity, but it's negligible.

Absolutely NO need to load min for mixed brass. I don't load MAX either.. just because it's senseless to shoot super hot ammo for practice.

I run mid to hot loads for bulk ball ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Commercial brass and LC/Mil brass are completely interchangeable. Mil brass has a slightly larger capacity, but it's negligible.

Absolutely NO need to load min for mixed brass. I don't load MAX either.. just because it's senseless to shoot super hot ammo for practice.

I run mid to hot loads for bulk ball ammo.
    Thanks - this helps a lot!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Now when you get to 308, brass sorting is huge.

I've hand scaled powder in mixed brass that I could sort by looking into the cases. I mean... you could see a huge difference in how high the powder filled the case.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've hand scaled powder in mixed brass that I could sort by looking into the cases. I mean... you could see a huge difference in how high the powder filled the case.
    That's pretty amazing! I'm just now gathering components to do .308, but it will be for a bolt rifle. Currently, I'm doing .223 bolt rifle, so I sort the headstamps, but I don't go to the extent of weighing cases and bullets. When, I start powdering up .308, I'll have to visually compare some different cases with a given charge of powder in them.

Thanks again for your replies!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... weighing cases is absurd.

I was stunned at how much different 308 case volumes could be. We've since gone to just loading Lapua 308 brass.... and some FC (Federal) for experimental loads or gas gun loads.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had great luck with the Hornady 55 grain FMJ. With mixed brass I generally get under 2 MOA through my non free float chrome lined Spikes mid length.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I have had great luck with the Hornady 55 grain FMJ. With mixed brass I generally get under 2 MOA through my non free float chrome lined Spikes mid length.
    Great to hear! Thanks for posting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12