Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a "weapons system"?

Feedback Score

What makes a "weapons system"?

In your opinion what are the requirements for a rifle to be considered a weapons system? And what modern rifles do you consider to be of that distinction? Of course I would have to assume that the AR/M16/M4 platform would be on the list.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm just a nobody without any training or anything like that..so I'd consider it a system if it has the capability of putting an M203 on it or a shotgun underneath like the master key type deal..maybe with single/burst/full auto too..instead of just being a semi-auto single shot. And maybe mutli caliber capable as well.

I can't see why it would be a "system" if it's just a regular rifle..

I could be (and probably am) completely wrong, but that's what I think..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "a weapon and the components necessary to its proper function, such as targeting and guidance device"

'bout as simple as it gets, I suppose.
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    Maybe it's the combination of parts of the rifle that makes up a "system" used as a weapon?

I dunno either just a simple civi' here.

Like to hear other, "official" imput?

Edit: comment got in while I was typing....seems to sum it up...no?
    Last edited by Breadstick; 10-07-11 at 18:37.

Feedback Score
    I guess most would just say "modularity" but some are more modular than others, I know what is meant by the term but just wanted to see what others thought makes a weapon and components a system. I guess that the weapon is capable of having components attached and the combination of such makes a system.
    Last edited by jet80tv; 10-07-11 at 20:29.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    A system of weapons?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you are all trying to think way too hard about this. What is a system?

1. A group of interacting, interrelated, or interdependent elements forming a complex whole.
    2. A functionally related group of elements
    3. A condition of harmonious, orderly interaction.

What is your Digestive System? It's your stomach, guts, and pooophole working together for the common good.

"Weapon system" when you are talking about firearms is just that....a firearm. It doesn't have to have modularity or whatnot. The firearm is a weapon...and a system. A Ruger 10/22 is a weapon system. A Glock 19 is a weapon system. An F/A18 Superhornet is a weapon system.
    -

Evey -- Are you like a...crazy person?
    V -- I'm quite sure they will say so.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not sure about the universe" -- Einstein

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    I believe a 'weapons system', is anything used, in its complete effectiveness, against your enemy.

Proper training makes you the weapons system and the 6920/N4/BCM4 is the tool to effectively complete this task.

Feedback Score
    The person behind the trigger.

Feedback Score
    While legally, the lower reciever of an AR15 or M16 series rifle is concidered the "weapon", the components as a whole make up the weapon system.

It actually makes quite a bit of sense and is quite simple. The lower reciever alone, although concidered by the federal government as a weapon in and of itself, it is not inherently useful as JUST a lower reciever. You need a reciever extension with an action spring and a buffer, you need a trigger and sear. You need an upper reciever with a bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, charging handle, etc. The individual components make up the weapon system. Each component carries out a specific process independently, which perpetuates the cycle of operation.

The selector needs to be on fire for the trigger to be able to be pulled, the trigger needs to be pulled to drop the sear, which lets the hammer fall, which hits the firing pin, which ignites the round, etc, etc, etc. We all know the process.

A weapon system has nothing to do with modularity, or accessories, or any other crap that you can put on the weapon. The definition of weapon system has been basically the same since before M16's had rails or detachable sights, or different calibers, or piston or DI systems, or probably even different kinds of ammunition.

The short and skinny of it is the required components that make up an individual weapon that allow it to function as intended.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast