Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 14.5 vs. 16"?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You are wrong. It has been discussed time and time again. Unless it is a permanent modification it's not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Jason...

I would be very careful about configuring a registered lower contrary all aspects of the approved application.

A "Letter of Exception" allows the owner to legally alter a NFA device from the configuration approved by NFA Branch without resubmitting an additional form and paying another $200. A device not in the configuration so stated on your approved registration can easily be defined as a violation. Granted not as serious as possessing without an approved form, but, a violation none-the-less. The key BATF phrase is "registration depends upon the stated intent of the applicant". You state barrel length, overall length and caliber on the form. To deviate from your registration is not in keeping with your stated purpose which includes ALL blocks, not simply the narrative section. To my knowledge, there is no BATF provision for a "temporary" configuration.

A "letter of exception" amends your original application to include a new barrel length. Same holds true if you use a different caliber. The letter becomes part of your official application for that registered device.

You can install a barrel of 16" or longer anytime and not be in violation.

Years ago, one could offer vague details on the registration form; block 4c could state "5.56, 6.8, .458" etc., and block 4e could state "<16 inches". Today, NFA Branch will return your form if you make such entries. Branch will only accept a specific stated configuration on the application.

ATF rulings and interpretations change daily, simply based on political winds. Have you heard about the enhanced/additional dealer reporting requirement for the purchase of multiple and specific weapons in the southern border States? Not voluntary and an administrative implementation. This ruling simply went viral, most do not.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Yes, but every time I travel to TX, Arkansas, etc. I won't need to have a permission slip to do so.
    Oh my, now that's another can of worms...."safe passage". A much more difficult issue to determine and stay legal. And, this can deal with any weapon, device and ammunition, whether or not regulated by NFA.

Example, as a private citizen, DO NOT have hollow point handgun ammunition in your possession traveling within the borders of NJ! LEOs from outside NJ even had legal problems in NJ until President Obama signed into law S253 which augments HR218.

For intrastate travel, I send NFA Branch a 5320.20 in mid-December for the following year with the date range January 1, 20xx and a return date of December 31, 20xx. I list all possible state destinations and any states I may transit. This eliminates the need for a new approved form every time I travel, unless the destination is not on the previously approved 5320.20.

The form still does not guarantee or permit "safe passage" through restrictive jurisdictions. The only way to ensure "safe passage" (still not a free pass) is to contact the State Attorney General's Office for all state's transiting and request a letter outlining requirements for "safe passage" of the weapon or device in question.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Oh my, now that's another can of worms...."safe passage". A much more difficult issue to determine and stay legal. And, this can deal with any weapon, device and ammunition, whether or not regulated by NFA.

Example, as a private citizen, DO NOT have hollow point handgun ammunition in your possession traveling within the borders of NJ! LEOs from outside NJ even had legal problems in NJ until President Obama signed into law S253 which augments HR218.

For intrastate travel, I send NFA Branch a 5320.20 in mid-December for the following year with the date range January 1, 20xx and a return date of December 31, 20xx. I list all possible state destinations and any states I may transit. This eliminates the need for a new approved form every time I travel, unless the destination is not on the previously approved 5320.20.

The form still does not guarantee or permit "safe passage" through restrictive jurisdictions. The only way to ensure "safe passage" (still not a free pass) is to contact the State Attorney General's Office for all state's transiting and request a letter outlining requirements for "safe passage" of the weapon or device in question.
    yes, and an SBR cannot be "left at home" as cheaply as a suppressor can, if you still wish to shoot. It is also verboten in many areas, more-so than a suppressor at this point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You are wrong. It has been discussed time and time again. Unless it is a permanent modification it's not an issue.
    As a Type 7 FFL/SOT....

Lets just leave it at I will go with documentation from my district's BATF Industry Office and BATF Legal Department (D.C.).

I merely offered info I have been passed by BATF in my district.

Should one wish to defer to information contained/discussed on a public forum, or anywhere else for that matter, that too is cool.

We are all somewhat free to make our own choices.
    Last edited by Munch; 10-14-11 at 06:40.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I think that is common knowledge. The BATFE has even stated that the item must be legal at the destination as well as well as states that you are passing through.

If a person doesn't do their due diligence to determine what is legal and what isn't I don't have sympathy for them.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I think that is common knowledge. The BATFE has even stated that the item must be legal at the destination as well as well as states that you are passing through.

If a person doesn't do their due diligence to determine what is legal and what isn't I don't have sympathy for them.

Agreed....

Yet, not all things regarding safe passage and travel are crystal clear, even when performing due diligence, regardless of one's position, private citizen, LEO, etc.

But prior to passage of S253, some NM LEOs were deer in the head lights in NJ when they thought they were GTG with their hollow point 40SW ammo for Glock 22s while transiting EWR airport. It was a legal quagmire until AG offices got involved and resolved the issue.

Not all things regarding safe passage and travel are crystal clear, even when performing due diligence.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345