Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started reloading for M4/AR15 - advice requested

Feedback Score

Question Getting started reloading for M4/AR15 - advice requested

I have been reloading for bolt action rifle for a while and feel like I understand that. I recently participated in a club-level carbine match and really enjoyed it. If I could reload ammo for it, I could probably afford to participate each month, and this leads to the questions.

It takes approximately 120 rounds for a match. Most targets are 15-20 yds. or less, with some 50 yd. targets thrown in. I used AE223H, which seemed to work well and not have the recoil of XM193.

My big question is... [strikeout]how can I load for reasonable accuracy and be able to use mixed cases?[/strikeout]

Really, my question is what process (as in load development) do I use to arrive at the best load that works for mixed cases and is not dangerous? I was not asking what press to use!

I have several 20 round boxes of Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, Privi, etc. fired cases. I also have several Lake City cases separated by year. Some of the LC range in quantities from 5, 10, 20, up to 50 to 80 for a given year.

Additionally, I have Hornady 55gr. FMJBTs to use, and probably Hodgdon H322 powder as my TAC is getting low.

I appreciate and look forward to your advice!
    Last edited by BravoGolf59; 10-12-11 at 20:04. Reason: CLARITY!!!

Feedback Score
    At the distance you'll be shooting, it shouldn't be hard. Just run them through a progressive press. Now if you're shooting for 200+ yards and accuracy, you'll have to spend more time in case prep and powder charge. And for the economy, just use min charge on powder. It seems this is more of a quantity then quality situation.
    Last edited by Baedarlboo; 10-11-11 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    Baedarlboo is spot on.

Here is a comparison of progressive press reloads vs. Black Hills red box 55 gr. 10 rounds at 50yds using AimPoint Micro T1.

This is obviously not precision shooting - simply illustrates that you can load on a progressive as good as you can buy off the shelf.

Black Hills

Reloads. Head stamps mixed PMC, RP. Hornady 55 gr FMJBT 25 gr H335. The one flyer was me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have no idea why black hills gets such a wonderful reputation in the first place.

Every time I put their ammo in some instrumentation, it shows me that it's really not that good... and EASILY beaten by a hand loader with half a clue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    ... and EASILY beaten by a hand loader with half a clue.
    That would be me

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by simple1 View Post
    That would be me
    Me too. The more I learn... the more work hand loading becomes.

Sometimes I wish I was back loading blissfully ignorant.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Me too. The more I learn... the more work hand loading becomes.

Sometimes I wish I was back loading blissfully ignorant.
    My reloading is simple because my requirements are simple. Almost trained monkey level really.
    But I'm wanting to do some longer range shooting and I'll have to put more work into it at that point.

Your comment about Black Hills is interesting though. Those 10 rounds were the first I'd fired from what I thought was my "good" stash. I was surprised that it faired so poorly.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I was at that point too. I just loaded practice ammo and was fine.

If you ever get to loading precision ammo, you'll go nuts. These accurate ammo gurus will get into your head like a neurologist.....

Then you'll be buying all kinds of competition dies, and guages, etc.

Feedback Score
    Opening post has been edited. Not really interested in what press to use, but I can see how you might get that out of my question. I am interested in how to do the load development to achieve my goal of using multiple brands of cases, safely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Baedarlboo View Post
    At the distance you'll be shooting, it shouldn't be hard. Just run them through a progressive press. Now if you're shooting for 200+ yards and accuracy, you'll have to spend more time in case prep and powder charge. And for the economy, just use min charge on powder. It seems this is more of a quantity then quality situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf59 View Post
    Opening post has been edited. Not really interested in what press to use, but I can see how you might get that out of my question. I am interested in how to do the load development to achieve my goal of using multiple brands of cases, safely.
    Read what I have in bold. For the the distance you will be shooting, min charge is more than enough.
    If you want to "develop" a load for certain accuracy (at distance), or velocity that's another story...this requires time prepping cases with matching head stamps and a chrony.
    There is no one best load, every gun is going to prefer something different.
    Again, since you're after quantity at 50yrds max, min charge (powder of your choice), cheapest projectiles, cheapest primer, and your mixed brass is going to be just fine. Try an purchase in bulk to save.
    Last edited by Baedarlboo; 10-12-11 at 21:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast