Thread: 590A1 magazine follower and spring ?'s

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

590A1 magazine follower and spring ?'s

So I picked up a new Mossberg 590A1 and am doing some upgrades to it such as a Hogue 12" LOP stock and enhanced follower and Wolff XP 9shot spring. The spring tension on this 590 is not in my opinion as stiff as my 870 HD and I have read that upgrading to the Wolff XP spring is a must. Secondly has anyone used the Brownells enhanced aluminum follower and or Wolff XP spring and how do you like it or is it not needed? last, I have read that the magazine retaining spring cup is not needed in the mag tube and people are taking them out and just screwing on the magazine cap and using that as the sole spring retainer. Any take on that? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mossberg OEM springs have historically sucked. The spring in the 8rd tube is especially bad, requiring frequent replacement. The 5rd tube spring isn't as bad, but still doesn't go the distance like a Remington, or a high quality aftermarket.

I am told that Mossberg has been using some better springs in more recent production, but I can't confirm. (I think there's a thread here somewhere in which someone had more info, and perhaps even a photo.)

The majority of my experience with the XP springs in Mossbergs is with Wolff. They have been GTG. I recall the others being okay as well, but can't recall much more than that.

I like the SGT high visibility follower for the color and the nub in the middle I can feel. Others of similar design have been okay as well. I require high-vis in my guns.

See other threads on Mossberg shotguns for best-practices and advisable pre-emptive/preventative maintenance.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by number1olddog View Post
    So I picked up a new Mossberg 590A1 and am doing some upgrades to it such as a Hogue 12" LOP stock and enhanced follower and Wolff XP 9shot spring. The spring tension on this 590 is not in my opinion as stiff as my 870 HD and I have read that upgrading to the Wolff XP spring is a must. Secondly has anyone used the Brownells enhanced aluminum follower and or Wolff XP spring and how do you like it or is it not needed? last, I have read that the magazine retaining spring cup is not needed in the mag tube and people are taking them out and just screwing on the magazine cap and using that as the sole spring retainer. Any take on that? Thanks.
    Recently I made the following modifications to my model 590:

Removed the OEM heat sheild.
    Replaced OEM buttstock with Hogue "youth" model reduced LOP buttstock.
    Replaced OEM mag spring with a Wolff Extra Power mag spring.
    Replaced OEM mag follower with an AimPro high visibility all metal follwer.
    Replaced OEM plastic trigger assembly with the OEM Mil-Spec all metal one.
    Replaced OEM plastic saftey with a metal Elite Tactical Advantage safety.
    Replaced OEM brass bead sight with a Trijicon front sight bead.
    Installed 3 Gun Gear hook and loop side saddle.
    Installed VCAS to gun via a GG&G front sling attachment and a BFG buttstock adaptor.

To be honest, I believe the Aim-Pro high visibility follower is just an OEM metal follower that they painted bright red. I'd take the one that came with your gun and paint it yourself with a high viz spray can paint. Wolff mag spring is GTG and highly recommended.

My next upgrade will be to replace the OEM fore grip with a SureFire 623LM.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Recently I made the following modifications to my model 590:

Removed the OEM heat sheild.
    Replaced OEM buttstock with Hogue "youth" model reduced LOP buttstock.
    Replaced OEM mag spring with a Wolff Extra Power mag spring.
    Replaced OEM mag follower with an AimPro high visibility all metal follwer.
    Replaced OEM plastic trigger assembly with the OEM Mil-Spec all metal one.
    Replaced OEM plastic saftey with a metal Elite Tactical Advantage safety.
    Replaced OEM brass bead sight with a Trijicon front sight bead.
    Installed 3 Gun Gear hook and loop side saddle.
    Installed VCAS to gun via a GG&G front sling attachment and a BFG buttstock adaptor.

To be honest, I believe the Aim-Pro high visibility follower is just an OEM metal follower that they painted bright red. I'd take the one that came with your gun and paint it yourself with a high viz spray can paint. Wolff mag spring is GTG and highly recommended.

My next upgrade will be to replace the OEM fore grip with a SureFire 623LM.
    I get in my hogue 12"lop in thursday. Mine has the metal trigger guard and safety. Ordered the Wolff spring and brownells follower. Mine also has the mossberg ghost sights which are nice. Hopefully after these three upgrades it will perform for years to come. Thanks for all the advice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by number1olddog View Post
    I get in my hogue 12"lop in thursday. Mine has the metal trigger guard and safety. Ordered the Wolff spring and brownells follower. Mine also has the mossberg ghost sights which are nice. Hopefully after these three upgrades it will perform for years to come. Thanks for all the advice.
    Yeap, your A1 came with more bells and whistles than my "Special Purpose". With a little tweeking they're great scatter guns.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18