Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case length in .223/5.56 reloads

Feedback Score

case length in .223/5.56 reloads

I made a small mistake and trimmed a bunch of my .223 brass a little shorter than the minimum. About .002-.004 shorter than minimum.

Do I have to trash the brass, or can I use it safetly? If all it does is reduce accuaracy, thats fine. They're for fun plinking loads anyway.

By the way, they would be fired in a COLT M-4 clone.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    It'll be fine. Just make sure you don't exceed your max OAL when you seat the bullet.

Feedback Score
    I have some mixed brass that I have been reloading for a while. Some of it was a little agressively trimmed, maybe .005 below the trim to legnth and I haven't had any problems with it. The cannelures stand out but for range use it shouldn't make a difference. As with everything else start low and work up.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not a problem at all. Some of the FC brass on the 223AE ammo was way shorter than that from the factory.

Just means you don't have to trim as much or at all next time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This will not cause any problems at all. Good shooting!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My personal minimum is 1.743 for blasting ammo (plinking, 3gun under 250 yds etc.). Never had a prob.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not a problem at all. Some of the FC brass on the 223AE ammo was way shorter than that from the factory.

hey mark are you still on the no trimming kick? 1.760 is where most of my brass is running; without trimming... Seems to function well... I thought you had been dabbling in 1.770+ with no issues in a 5.56 chamber. what do you consider max OAL?

Feedback Score

Good

I would say you are fine, I did the same thing awhile back and have had 0 problems with them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not a problem. I trimmed some .223 back to 1.740" a while back on no problems at all. I saw no real difference in velocities compared to my usualy trim length of 1.750".

It will shorten the COL if you crimp on cannelured bullets but I don't think .01" in COL makes any difference pressure wise when the bullet is nowhere close to the lands and you are not at max pressures anyway (I'm usually at least 0.5 gr below max loads).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

I was wondering this as well because I measured the FC brass @ 1.738 which seems really short. So as long as I keep the OAL correct with this brass and start low I should be fine?
    Last edited by Jonzer831; 12-15-11 at 14:21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast