Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: case length in .223/5.56 reloads

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I load to OAL no matter what the brass length is. Yeah... you'll be fine. No need to go overboard on light loading. I load a stout .223 load.... 1/10th of a grain under max for .223.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Awesome because I have A LOT of it from picking it up at my local range. I have been loading handgun ammo for a while but I am still fairly new to loading for my AR. I have to say it freaked me out a little bit when I would seat the bullet and hear the crunch sound of it making contact with the powder lol.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonzer831 View Post
    Awesome because I have A LOT of it from picking it up at my local range. I have been loading handgun ammo for a while but I am still fairly new to loading for my AR. I have to say it freaked me out a little bit when I would seat the bullet and hear the crunch sound of it making contact with the powder lol.
    What powder? That compression of the load is ok for some powders... but if you're loading a ball powder, I'd be concerned.

I hope you're talking about Varget....
    Last edited by markm; 12-15-11 at 14:48.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Yeah 26 grains of Varget. My Uncle told me that would happen but it was a little different then loading 38 super and 45. They shot just fine and I was amazed at the accuracy. I didn't measure the moa but I had never seen the holes so close to each other

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You can get one of those drop funnels and reduce the compression.

There's much more user friendly options for .223 than Varget. H322 and Benchmark flow really well. They're short cut extruded powders.

I love Varget for 308, but I'm hand scaling every load.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

There's much more user friendly options for .223 than Varget. H322 and Benchmark flow really well. They're short cut extruded powders.

I have been hand scaling as well which is fine because I shoot pistols competitively at my local club and rifle is more for fun. I am waiting for my 10 days to be up so I can start making loads for my new 6920.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Not a problem at all. Some of the FC brass on the 223AE ammo was way shorter than that from the factory.

Just means you don't have to trim as much or at all next time.
    Yup. FC/Eagle comes up consistently short - as short as 1.74 and that's after firing.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 12-15-11 at 21:36.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Same here. H335 is a current favorite also. If it isn't ball powder it's really necessary to hand meter it if you're looking for repeat-ability. My Hornady powder measure will not throw consistently with anything but ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    Yup. FC/Eagle comes up consistently short - as short as 1.74 and that's after firing.
    Same in my experiences. When loading practice ammo (bulk m193 projectiles with cannelure) you can tell if I've missed a case during sorting when the cannelure is above the rim of the mouth after seating.
    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 12-19-11 at 19:19.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12