Thread: Ammo for a model 19 smith and taurus 85

Feedback Score

Ammo for a model 19 smith and taurus 85

I need some recommendations of a good 38 special home defense load and CCW load for the above 2 revolvers. I carry the taurus (fits well in the front pocket) but more improtantly my wife likes the smith model 19 and shoots it well with 38's but is not fond of 357 recoil. right now I have them loaded with remington 125 gr +PSJHP. Is there a more effective round? I was looking at the standard pressure Buffalo Bore 158gr lead HP. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks all.

Feedback Score
    Check out the terminal ballistic info section: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    id go with the Gold Dot short barrel loads or the hornady critical defense. i would go with a carry load tailored to the short barrel and it will be as good or better in the full size.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm a fan of Federal 158gr +P LSWCHP, part # 38G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I'm a fan of Federal 158gr +P LSWCHP, part # 38G.

Any of the Remington, Winchester, or Federal versions of the 158 LHP+P are good stuff...

Feedback Score
    Corbon 110gr DPX

"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by charmcitycop; 09-21-13 at 16:42.

Feedback Score
    It is a 4 inch barrel

Feedback Score
    how about wadcutters?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwistuber View Post
    I was looking at the standard pressure Buffalo Bore 158gr lead HP. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks all.
    This is what I recommend in the non+P load and what I carried in my 36 for years. I have to imagine someone has a better bullet design that reliably opens up at non+P speeds, even out of a snubby these days, but last I looked I couldn't find anything. Everything was +P.
    I do not ride to work in a helicopter or pretend to have insider information from my fifth cousin's friend about Delta Force, although I once served with a SEAL unit at Fort Monroe. It was a wedding party and I was 10. And no, I have not stopped talking about it.