Thread: Does Silencer Use Affect Your POI Zero?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Does Silencer Use Affect Your POI Zero?

I was shooting the other day and noticed my zero was off on my DDM4 when I put on the new AAC M4-2000 silencer. Does adding a silencer on the end of your rifle affect your zero location past 50 yards??????
    I was wondering and heard a comment when it it happened, but chalked it up to my EOTech being knocked in my drag bag and resighted it in....
    Does your zero typically change in elevation and/or windage between shooting with or without a silencer?
    Last edited by WillieFlo; 10-31-11 at 13:39.
    Beautiful wife & kids, house, and my toys.......what else can a guy ask for?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieFlo View Post
    I was shooting the other day and noticed my zero was off on my DDM4 when I put on the new AAC M4-2000 silencer. Does adding a silencer on the end of your rifle affect your zero location past 50 yards??????
    I was wondering and heard a comment when it it happened, but chalked it up to my EOTech being knocked in my drag bag....
    All cans create a POI shift. Some more so than others. I have witnessed some that create 5" at 100yds, but they generally will only create about a 3" shift.

There are other variables that go along with this as well (like barrels).

From my experience, SF has the least POI shift of any can made (which is why I use them). To me, having several inches of shift is not acceptable.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Definitely causes shift. If you have a flat top upper and/or a Free Float barrel, that shift can be big.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Any time you exert pressure or apply weight to the barrel inconsistent with that during zeroing you will induce POI shift.
    Further, the bullet is effected by it's time inside the can and the change in gas volume and pressure as the projectile exits the can vice the crown.

The best suppressors are not ones that exhibit NO shif, but rather ones that have REPEATABLE shift. Primarily because the former does not exist, so the next best thing is at least knowing were it's going.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Stiffer, shorter barrels have less shift from the torque created from the can. I think the best SBR barrel would be a 11.5" .750 medium contour barrel. That is just my opinion though. ADCO should make a carbine length barrel similar to their medium contour mid-length. I would buy one and have them cut it down for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks guys,
    That makes sense. I appreciate all the feedback, and man was that quick!
    Beautiful wife & kids, house, and my toys.......what else can a guy ask for?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I made a post somewhere here on M4 where markm and I did some testing with my 11.5" SBR w/ AAC M4 2000 at 50 yards. We used several different rounds.

In our testing the shift was pretty minimal with the can on/off. Again, this was only 50 yards IIRC, but all things considered it looked as if it was fairly consistent.

FOUND IT- https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=76434

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    All cans create a POI shift. Some more so than others. I have witnessed some that create 5" at 100yds, but they generally will only create about a 3" shift.

There are other variables that go along with this as well (like barrels).

From my experience, SF has the least POI shift of any can made (which is why I use them). To me, having several inches of shift is not acceptable.

C4

I agree. Let me add that I had used a threaded suppressor that had very minor POI shift but it was not repeatable. My AAC cans (M4-2000 & 762SD) both exhibit some POI but it is repeatable to the point I can take off the can and adjust my sights shoot, put the can back on adjust the sights and shoot, and even though not perfection - they are still well within tactical tolerances.

Repetition and replication is key to accuracy IMHO.